This text is an essential resource for any practitioner interested in how muscles work, whether from the point of view of training for sport, treating physical problems and diseases, or understanding the basic cellular physiology and how the function interrelates with other body systems. It provides outstanding material on skeletal muscle physiology and biochemistry. The book also offers the reader important knowledge on topics like embryonic development, muscle organization, energy metabolism, structure of the muscle fiber, and mechanisms of fatigue.
- Outstanding number of photographs, illustrations and graphs assist the reader in understanding with great visual aids.
- Its thorough coverage offers the most in-depth information available on the various topics important to the field.
- Structure of the muscle fibre
2. Mechanisms of force generation
3. Control of the contractile process
4. Fibre types and motor units
5. Recruitment and control of motor units
6. Energy metabolism during exercise
7. Muscle working in situ
8. Effect of temperature and activity on muscle contractile properties
9. Introduction to fatigue
10. Mechanisms of fatigue
11. Fatigue during endurance exercise
12. Muscle pain and damage
13. Muscle energetics and efficiency during exercise
14. Muscle growth, development, adaptations and ageing
15. Muscle diseases
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2004
- 1st March 2004
- Churchill Livingstone
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN: