Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Studies in Archaeology: Shawnee Minisink: A Stratified Paleoindian-Archaic Site in the Upper Delaware Valley of Pennsylvania focuses on the excavation of the Shawnee Minisink and its connection with the lifestyles of the earliest inhabitants of North America.
The selection first offers information on the Upper Delaware Valley Early Man Project, early history of archaeological research at the Shawnee Minisink Site, and methodology and research design at the Shawnee Minisink Site. Discussions focus on data recovery design, evaluation of methodology, research context, and goals. The text then examines the biophysical conditions of the Upper Delaware Valley; aboriginal subsistence and site ecology as interpreted from microfloral and faunal remains; and artifact morphology and chronology at the Shawnee Minisink Site.
The book takes a look at myth, reality, and the Upper Delaware Valley, Paleoindian artifact form and function at Shawnee Minisink, and Paleoindian to early archaic transition at the Shawnee Minisink Site. Topics include environmental setting, lithic analysis results, secondary modifications, hafting, endscraper distributional pattern, analytic technique and procedure, and paleoecological reconstruction.
The selection is a dependable reference for archeologists wanting to conduct further studies on the Shawnee Minisink Site.
Part I: Introduction
1. The Upper Delaware Valley Early Man Project
The Shawnee Minisink Site
2. Early History of Archaeological Research at the Shawnee Minisink Site
3. Methodology and Research Design at the Shawnee Minisink Site
Data Recovery Design
Evaluation of Methodology
Part II: Environmental Setting
4. The Upper Delaware Valley: Recent Past and Present Biophysical Conditions
Geological History of the Upper Delaware Valley
Flora and Fauna of the Upper Delaware Valley
5. Aboriginal Subsistence and Site Ecology as Interpreted from Microfloral and Faunal Remains
Shawnee Minisink Floral Remains
Discussion of Shawnee Minisink Floral Data
Ecological Information on the Shawnee Minisink Site Environs from Seed Data
The Paleoenvironment as Interpreted from Terrestrial Gastropods at the Shawnee Minisink Site
Wood and Charcoal Analysis
Part III: The Artifacts
6. Artifact Morphology and Chronology at the Shawnee Minisink Site
Early Early Archaic
Part IV: Interpretation
7. Amerinds and the Environment: Myth, Reality, and the Upper Delaware Valley
The Received View: Archaeology and Paleoecology
Rethinking the Received View
8. Paleoindian Artifact Form and Function at Shawnee Minisink
Statement of Problem
Study Sample Description
Appendix: Attribute Definitions
9. The Relationship of Morphological Variation to Hafting Techniques Among Paleoindian Endscrapers at the Shawnee Minisink Site
Endscraper Distributional Pattern
10. Paleoindian to Early Archaic Transition at the Shawnee Minisink Site
Lithic Analysis: Methodology
Lithic Analysis: Results
11. A Technological Analysis of the Early Archaic
A Technological Overview
The Isolation of Living Floors from the Compacted Stratigraphy of the Early Archaic
The Reconstruction of Living Floors
12. The Shawnee Minisink Site: An Overview
Early Early Archaic
Terminal Archaic to Middle Woodland
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1985
- 28th January 1985
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.