- Serves as a comprehensive guide for building an effective security program at little or no cost.
- Covers fundamental crime prevention concepts, making it suitable for both school security professionals and educators with no formal security training.
- Addresses the risks commonly facing school administrators today, from access control to social media.
- Takes a holistic approach to school security rather than focusing on a particular threat or event.
Security professionals and consultants; school administrators and staff at public or private K-12 schools, universities, or day care centers; and anyone who has responsibility for policy implementation or protective services in the school setting.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
- 1. What Is School Security?
- Introduction – Security Is Not CSI
- Security Is Loss Prevention
- Today’s Student
- Today’s Security Program
- Security’s Impact on School Culture
- Stakeholder Responses to “What Is School Security?”
- 2. How Safe Is Your School?
- Introduction: How May I Help You?
- Loss Prevention: Proactive Security
- Making Security a Priority
- A Collaborative Approach
- A Comprehensive Approach
- Financial Considerations
- Keys to School Security
- Practices with Security Consequences
- State Requirements
- 3. Developing a Plan
- Documenting Practices
- 4. Securing Your Environment
- Introduction: Coming Full Circle
- Selecting Products, Systems, and Measures
- Access Control
- Key Concept–Testing Physical Security Devices
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
- 5. Influencing Behavior
- Defining Bullying
- The Bystander
- Addressing the Bullying Problem
- Bullying Prevention Programming
- What is Cyberbullying?
- Dating Violence, Stalking and Sexual Assault
- 6. Preparing Your People
- Staff Surveys
- Student Problem Indicators
- Visitor Management
- Security Awareness
- In-Service Training and Annual Presentations
- Personal Crime Prevention
- Personal Safety
- Online Training
- Security Systems
- Emergency Preparedness
- Substitutes and Part-Time Staff
- Security Personnel
- 7. Managing Emergencies
- Preparing to Get Started
- Plan Content
- Plan Training and Preparedness
- The Evolution of Active Shooter Procedures
- 8. Tackling Social Media Risks
- Social Media Introduction
- Addressing Social Media Risks
- Law Enforcement and Social Networking
- Web Filters
- 9. School Security Resources and Conclusion
- Chapter Summary
- Book Conclusion
- No. of pages: 228
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Butterworth-Heinemann 2014
- Published: September 11, 2014
- Imprint: Butterworth-Heinemann
- eBook ISBN: 9780124078734
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
(Total rating for all reviews)
Mohamed A. Thu Mar 29 2018
amazing that someone at least cares about schools and knows what is good and what safety rules they should follow.