Safety Culture, Second Edition, provides safety professionals, corporate safety leaders, members of leadership, and college students an updated book on safety leadership and techniques for the development of a safety culture. The book offers guidance on the development, implementation, and communication of a Safety Management System.
The Second Edition includes a discussion on the perception of safety, analyzing the safety culture, developing a communications network, employee involvement, risk perception, curation, and tools to enhance the Safety Management System.
- Updated materials on the Activity-Based Safety System, Job Hazard Analysis, and Safety Training
- New sections on safety leadership and its application
- A new chapter on Developing a Content Creation Strategy supporting the Safety Management System
- An array of suggested software and social media tools
Chemical Engineers, Process Engineers, Mechanical Engineers. Health and safety practitioners and process safety professionals (e.g. Safety Engineers and Safety Technicians); middle managers (e.g. Facility Manager, Production Manager/Supervisor, Safety Manager, Maintenance Manager); faculty/graduate researchers investigating applications in industrial safety and management systems
Part 1: Laying the Foundation
1. Defining the Perception of Safety
2. Analyzing the Organizational Culture
3. Analyzing and Using Your Network
4. Establishing the Direction for the Safety Culture
Part 2: Safety Management Systems Defined
5. Overview of Basic Safety Management Systems
6. Creating the Safety Process
7. Evaluating Leadership and the Safety Culture
8. Getting Employee Involvement in the Safety Management System
Part 3: How to Handle the Perception of Risk
9. Defining Risk Perception
10. Understanding Basic Risk Management Principles
Part 4: Tools to Enhance Your Safety Management System
11. Developing an Activity-Based Safety System
12. Using the Job Hazard Analysis
13. Developing Safety Training Needs
14. Assessing Your Safety Management System
Part 5: Curation Resources
15. Curating for a Safety Management System
16. Developing a Content Creation Strategy
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2019
- 4th March 2019
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
James Roughton CSP, CRSP, R-CHMM, CET, Certified Six Sigma Black Belt, is an experienced Safety Professional with in-depth knowledge of the use of Social Media to help improve productivity. He is an accomplished speaker, author, and writer who develops and manages his websites providing a resource network for small businesses, http://www.safetycultureplusacademy.com.
Safety professional and active member, Project Safe, Georgia Safety Advisory Board, Georgia Department of Labor
Nathan Crutchfield CPCU, ARM, ARP, has provided expertise to a broad array of clients that include public entities, associations, and general industry. He was awarded the National Safety Council’s “Distinguished Service to Safety Award” in 2001 and served on the National Safety Council Board of Directors in 1993 to 1995; and was a Vice President, with major risk management and insurance brokerage for over 20 years. He co-authored Job Hazard Analysis, A Guide for Voluntary Compliance and Beyond.
CSP (Certified Safety Professional); ARM (Associate in Risk Management); CPCU (Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter); ARP (Associate in Research & Planning); Society of Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters, American Society of Safety Engineers (Professional Member); American Society of Training and Development., Risk control consultant in the development of effective safety culture, safety management systems, and job hazard analysis, USA
Michael Waite, Ed.D. is a professor emeritus of public health at Fresno State. Formerly, he was the program coordinator in the Environmental/Occupational Health and Safety degree option, Department of Public Health. Dr. Waite has created and authored numerous state-of-the-art resources including software and website programs (co-authored F.A.C.T. Finding © and PowerAnalysis ©). Dr. Waite served on the Board of Directors of the National Safety Council and was a recipient of the National Safety Council’s Distinguished Service to Safety Award in 2001.
Professor Emeritus of Public Health, Fresno State University