Get a quick, expert overview of risk management in transfusion medicine from Dr. James Mills Barbeau. This practical resource presents a summary of today’s state-of-the-art techniques for reducing harm during all phases of transfusion practice, including blood collection, testing, processing, clinical assessment, and transfusion. It’s an easy-to-read, one-stop resource for managing and mitigating the various levels of risk in a variety of transfusion settings and scenarios.
- Presents a well-rounded perspective on quality assurance, blood supply testing, clinical risk, ethical and legal considerations, and transfusion-transmitted infectious diseases.
- Demonstrates how transfusion risk-management programs add value to health care institutions by enhancing a culture of safety, improving the institution’s reputation, and improving the bottom line.
- Consolidates today’s available information on risk management in blood transfusion medicine into one convenient resource.
Risk Management in Blood Transfusion Medicine, 1e
1. The Big Picture: Organizational Risk Management -- What It Is and Why It Matters
2. Quality Systems in Transfusion Medicine
3. Transfusion Review Committees
4. Patient Blood Management Programs
5. Infectious Risks in Transfusion Medicine
6. Health Care Preparedness: Risks to the Blood Supply
7. Informed Consent
8. Transfusion Medicine and the Law
9. Treating Jehovah’s Witness Patients
10. Risk Management in Massive Transfusion
11. Clinical Risk in Apheresis Practice
12. Clinical Risk in Cellular Therapy
13. Risks in Conducting Transfusion Medicine Research
14. Public Policy: Risk-Based Decision Making
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 9th January 2019
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Associate Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Brown University; Director of Clinical Pathology, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, Lifespan Academic Medical Center, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island