Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Recent Progress in Hormone Research, Volume 23 is a collection of papers presented at the 1966 Laurentian Hormone Conference, held at Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada. This conference explores four major areas of research, including thyroid physiology, thyroid hormones, contemporary developments in peptide hormone chemistry and biochemistry, and special studies of insulin, particularly in man. This book is organized into four parts encompassing 14 chapters. Part I deal with the factors controlling thyroid stimulation and special studies of the mode of action of thyroid hormones, including antithyroid drugs. Part II describes the mode of action of steroid hormones and hormonal steroids based on the effects on normal and neoplastic tissues. This part also looks into a definitive segment of research in endocrinology with the metabolism of the steroid hormones in vivo and in vitro. The discussion of an important clinical condition involving adrenocortical steroid production is given in the chapter concerned with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Parts III and IV explore the synthesis of peptide hormones and insulin. These parts also tackle the gastrointestinal hormone biochemistry, the detection of at least two insulin-like activities in human serum, and the particular control of insulin activity in man. This book is directed primarily toward endocrinologists.
I. Thyroid Physiology
1. The Long-Acting Thyroid Stimulator: Its Role in Graves' Disease
2. Studies of Thyrotropin Physiology by Means of Radioimmunoassay
3. Extrathyroid Effects of Some Antithyroid Drugs and Their Metabolic Consequences
4. Thyroid Hormones and the Biochemistry of Amphibian Metamorphosis
II. Steroid Hormones
5. Studies of the Mode of Action of Adrenal Steroids on Lymphocytes
6. Biochemical and Morphological Responses of Normal and Neoplastic Mammary Tissue to Hormonal Treatment
7. Formation and Metabolism of Steroids in the Fetus and Placenta
8. Studies with the 3Î±-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase from Pseudomonas testosteroniâ€”Enzyme-Substrate Complementarity as the Basis of Selectivity and Steric Specificity
9. Disorders of Adrenal Steroid Biogenesis
III. Peptide Hormones
10. New Approaches to the Chemical Synthesis of Peptides
11. Contemporary Developments in the Biochemistry of the Gastrointestinal Hormones
IV. Insulin and the Pancreas
12. Synthetic Insulins
13. Nonsuppressible Insulinlike Activity of Human Serum: Purification, Physicochemical and Biological Properties and Its Relation to Total Serum ILA
14. Effect of Amino Acids and Proteins on Insulin Secretion in Man
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1967
- 1st January 1967
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.