Recent Progress in Hormone Research, Volume 27 covers the proceedings of the 1970 Laurentian Hormone Conference held in Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada on August 29-September 4, 1970.
The book discusses the x-ray analysis and the structure of insulin; spontaneous hyperglycemia and/or obesity in laboratory rodents; and the biological properties of the growth hormone-like factor from the plerocercoid of Spirometra mansonoides. The text also describes studies on human chorionic gonadotropin; studies on the structure of thyrotropin and its relationship to luteinizing hormone; and ultimobranchial follicles in the thyroid glands of rats and mice. The use of antibodies for characterization of gonadotropins and steroids; the biosynthesis of pregnenolone; and the metabolism and protein binding of sex steroids in target organs are also considered.
The book further tackles the regulation of gene expression in Escherichia coli by cyclic AMP; the mechanism of action of ACTH; and the role of vitamin D and its relationship to parathyroid hormone and calcitonin. The text then encompasses the production and secretion of testicular steroids; the factors affecting the secretion of steroids from the transplanted ovary in the sheep; and the pilot gland approach to the study of insulin secretory dynamics. The analysis of the response to ACTH by rat adrenal in a flowing system is also looked into. Biochemists, physiologists, pathologists, endocrinologists, people working in laboratories of cancer research, chemical crystallography, and molecular biophysics will find the book invaluable.
- X-Ray Analysis and the Structure of Insulin
- Spontaneous Hyperglycemia and/or Obesity in Laboratory Rodents: An Example of the Possible Usefulness of Animal Disease Models with Both Genetic and Environmental Components
- Biological Properties of the Growth Hormonelike Factor from the Plerocercoid of Spirometra mansonoides
- Studies of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
- Studies on the Structure of Thyrotropin: Its Relationship to Luteinizing Hormone
- Ultimobranchial Follicles in the Thyroid Glands of Rats and Mice
- Use of Antibodies for Characterization of Gonadotropins and Steroids
- Biosynthesis of Pregnenolone
- Metabolism and Protein Binding of Sex Steroids in Target Organs: An Approach to the Mechanism of Hormone Action
- Regulation of Gene Expression in Escherichia coli by Cyclic AMP
- On the Mechanism of Action of ACTH
- The Role of Vitamin D and Its Relationship to Parathyroid Hormone and Calcitonin
- Production and Secretion of Testicular Steroids
- Factors Affecting the Secretion of Steroids from the Transplanted Ovary in the Sheep
- The Pilot Gland Approach to the Study of Insulin Secretory Dynamics
- Analysis of the Response to ACTH by Rat Adrenal in a Flowing System Author Index Subject Index
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1971
- 28th July 1971
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: