Chapter 1. Introduction to Quasicrystals (Takeo Fujiwara)
- Discovery of non-crystalline rotational symmetry
- Quasiperiodic lattice
- Icosahedral quasilattice and its symmetry
- Phonons and Phasons
- Electronic structure and related physical properties Chapter 2. Recent Developments of Quasicrystallography (Akiji Yamamoto)
- nD Description of Quasicrystals
- Decagonal, Dodecagonal and Icosahedral Coordinate Systems
- Low-Density Elimination Method
- Modification of Models in the Structure Refinement 5.1. Maximum Entropy Method 5.2. Similarity Transformations 5.3. Application of LDEM to quasicrystals 5.4. Application of nD Maximum Entropy Method
- Higher-Dimensional Cluster Models of Decagonal Quasicrystals 6.1. Arrangement of Cluster Centers 6.2. Two-Dimensional Structure of d-Al-Cu-Co 6.3. Three-Dimensional Structure of d-Al-Cu-Co 6.4. Application of Higher-Dimensional Cluster Models in Decagonal Quasicrystals.
- Higher-Dimensional Cluster Models of Icosahedral Quasicrystals 7.1. Atom Positions in Six-Dimensional Space 7.2. Application of Higher-Dimensional Cluster Models in Icosahedral Quasicrystals
- Quasicrystal Models with Fractal Occupation Domains
- Symmetry Breaking in Clusters 9.1. Model Building of Lower Symmetric Cluster Models 9.2. Projected Structure 9.3. Application of Low-Symmetric Cluster Models
- Modulation Functions for Quasicrystals
Chapter 3. New Group of Icosohedral Quasicrystals (Tsutomu Ishimasa)
- Classification of Icosahedral Quasicrystals<BR id="C
This book is aimed at researchers who are working in a field of quasicrystals to provide a reference to recent developments and ideas in the field and also at graduate students, who intend to study quasicrystals, to provide introduction of ideas. Topics in this book cover an entire field of quasicrystals, both experimental and theoretical, including new developments: the state of the art in quasicrystallography, new families of quasicrystals, phasons in aperiodic solids, ab initio studies on stability mechanism, quantum transport phenomena, elastic/plastic properties and surface of quasicrystals.
· Comprehensive reviews by experts in the field · Complete reference of original papers and new topics · Intelligible introduction of quasicrystals by experts
Researchers, Graduate students
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 2008
- 15th November 2007
- Elsevier Science
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Takeo Fujiwara has been working on quasicrystals since soon after the discovery of quasicrystals and contributing to developing new ideas on quasicrystals: TF are working on mainly electronic structures of quasiperiodic systems and real quasicrystalline materials and YI are working on “phason”-related instability of quasicrystals as well as electronic structures.
University of Tokyo, Japan
Yasushi Ishii has been working on quasicrystals since soon after the discovery of quasicrystals and contributing to developing new ideas on quasicrystals: TF are working on mainly electronic structures of quasiperiodic systems and real quasicrystalline materials and YI are working on “phason”-related instability of quasicrystals as well as electronic structures.
Chuo University, Toyo, Japan