Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
2. Properties of proteins in food systems
Part One: Sources of proteins
3. The caseins
4. Whey proteins
5. Muscle proteins
6. Soy as a food ingredient
7. Proteins from oil-producing plants
8. Cereal proteins
9. Seaweed proteins
10. Alternative protein source (e.g. insects)
11. Cultured meat protein
Part Two: Analysing and modifying protein
13. Modelling protein behaviour
14. Factors affecting enzyme activity in foods
15. Detection and methods to reduce food allergens
16. The extraction and purification of proteins: an introduction
17. Modifying seeds to produce proteins
Part Three: Applications
18. Seafood proteins
19. Edible films and coatings from proteins
20. Protein gels
21. Health-related functional value of dairy proteins and peptides
22. The use of immobilized enzymes to improve functionality
23. Impact of proteins on food colour
24. Use of proteins as nano encapsulants
Proteins in Food Processing, Second Edition, reviews how proteins may be used to enhance the nutritional, textural and other qualities of food products. After two introductory chapters, the book discusses sources of proteins, examining the caseins, whey, muscle and soy proteins, and proteins from oil-producing plants, cereals and seaweed. Part Two illustrates the analysis and modification of proteins, with chapters on testing protein functionality, modeling protein behavior, extracting and purifying proteins and reducing their allergenicity. A final group of chapters delves into the functional value of proteins and how they are used as additives in foods.
- Completely revised and updated with new developments on all food protein analysis and applications, such as alternative proteins sources, proteins as emulsifiers, proteins in nanotechnology and egg proteins
- Reviews the wide range of protein sources available
- Examines ways of modifying protein sources
- Discusses the use of proteins to enhance the nutritional, textural and other qualities of food products
Researchers, product development scientists, analytical chemists, food industry professionals, practitioners in the field related to food proteins (meat, dairy and cereal scientists), nutrition students
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2018
- 13th November 2017
- Woodhead Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.