- Clarifies the foundational concepts of Precision Medicine, distinguishing this field from its predecessors such as genomics, pharmacogenetics, and personalized medicine
- Gathers the chief conceptual advances in the fields of genetics, pathology, and bioinformatics, and synthesizes a coherent narrative for the field of Precision Medicine
- Delivers its message in plain language, and in a relaxed, conversational writing style, making it easy to understand the complex subject matter
- Guides the reader through a coherent and logical narrative, gradually providing expertise and skills along the way
- Covers the importance of data sharing in Precision Medicine, and the many data-related challenges that confront this fragile new field
Bioinformaticians, graduate students on bioinformatics and genetics, researchers from several biomedical areas
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction: Seriously, What is Precision Medicine?
Chapter 2. Redefining Disease Causality
Causality and Its Paradoxes
Why We Are Confident that Diseases Develop in Steps?
Cause of Death
What Is a Disease Pathway?
Multiple Steps Lead Us to Multiple Treatment Opportunities
Does Single Event Pathogenesis Ever Happen, and Should We Care?
Chapter 3. Genetics: Clues, Not Answers, to the Mysteries of Precision Medicine
Inscrutable Disease Genes
Discovering the Complex Mechanisms of Genetic Diseases
Why a Gene-based Disease Classification Is a Bad Idea
Chapter 4. Disease Convergence
Convergence in Precision Medicine
Phenocopy Diseases: Convergence Without Mutation
The Autoimmune Phenocopies
Pathways that Converge to Common Diseases
Common Treatments for Convergent Diseases
Chapter 5. The Precision of the Rare Diseases
The Biological Differences Between Rare Diseases and Common Diseases
Why Rare Diseases Are Precisely Understood; and Common Diseases Are Not
Precision Medicine's First Benefit: Cures for Rare Diseases
What the Rare Diseases Tell Us About the Common Diseases
Treatments for Rare Diseases are Effective Against the Common Diseases
Chapter 6. Precision Organisms
Modern Taxonomy of Infectious Diseases
Our Genome Is a Book Titled "The History of Human Infections"
Revising Koch's Postulates for Precision Medicine
Inflammatory Diseases: Collateral Damage in the War on Human Infection
Chapter 7. Reinventing Diagnosis
Precision Medicine Mandates a New Classification of Disease
The Horrible Consequences of Imprecise Diagnoses
The Principles of Classification
Classifications Cannot Be Based on Similarities
Subclassifying and Superclassifying Diseases
What Is Precision Diagnosis?
Chapter 8. Precision Data
What Are the Minimal Necessary Properties of Good Data?
Identification and Time-stamping: Indispensable keys to Precision Data
What Do We Do With Non-quantitative, Descriptive Data?
Incredibly Simple Methods to Understand Precision Data
Data Reanalysis: More important than the Original Data Analysis
What Is Data Sharing, and Why Don't We Do More of It?
Chapter 9. Impersonalized Precision Medicine
The Myth of Personalized Medicine
Pharmacogenomics: A Bridge Too Far
Reinventing Clinical Trials
Impersonalized Medical Care; Searching for a Panacea
Chapter 10. The Alternate Futures of Precision Medicine
Do It Yourself Model
Public Health Model
Data Analytics Model
Global Biome Model
Animal Experimentation: New Opportunities, New Limits
- No. of pages: 398
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 2018
- Published: January 15, 2018
- Imprint: Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: 9780128143940
- Paperback ISBN: 9780128143933
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Precision Medicine and the Reinvention of Human Disease"