Table of Contents
- Chapter headings and selected papers: Foreword. Preface. Introduction, Methods and Data. Design calculation methods. Ship design data. Setting Design Requirements. Merchant ship requirements and transportation studies. Staff requirements for warship and naval auxiliary vessels. The Design Equations. The weight equations. The volume equations. Weight-Based Designs. Outfit weight calculations. Lightship centres of gravity. Volume, Area and Dimension-Based Designs. Estimating the required volume. Crew numbers. Powering I. An introduction to powering. Resistance and ship model correlation. Powering II. Propulsive efficiency. Design Of Lines. The bow and stern. Seakeeping and manoeuvrability. Machinery Selection. Introduction and criteria for choosing the main engine. Structural Design. Factors influencing structural design. Special strength considerations for particular ship types. Freeboard and Subdivision. Deterministic rules for passenger ships. Probabilistic rules for cargo ships. Stability and Trim — General. Damaged stability standards for reduced freeboard. Constant displacement and added weight. Other Statutory Rules. MARPOL — marine pollution rules. Tonnage rules. Special Factors Influencing Warship Design. Warship roles. Combat systems. The General Arrangement. Factors influencing the general arrangement. Arranging accommodation. General Arrangement of Some Ship Types. A specialist ship — R.D.N. fishery inspection ship "Thetis". Guidance on designs from significant ships. Specification and Tender Package. Specification principles. Things to avoid when writing, or accepting a specification. Cost Estimating. Cost and price. Structural costs. Operational Economics. Economic criteria. Operating costs. Conversions. Modifications to increase deadweight or capacity. Bibliography. Subject index.
- No. of pages: 558
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Elsevier Science 1998
- Published: November 11, 1998
- Imprint: Elsevier Science
- Hardcover ISBN: 9780080429991
- Paperback ISBN: 9780080440545
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Practical Ship Design"