Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Plastic Waste and Recycling: Environmental Impact, Societal Issues, Prevention, and Solutions begins with an introduction to the different types of plastic materials, their uses, and the concepts of reduce, reuse and recycle before examining plastic types, chemistry and degradation patterns that are organized by non-degradable plastic, degradable and biodegradable plastics, biopolymers and bioplastics. Other sections cover current challenges relating to plastic waste, explain the sources of waste and their routes into the environment, and provide systematic coverage of plastic waste treatment methods, including mechanical processing, monomerization, blast furnace feedstocks, gasification, thermal recycling, and conversion to fuel.
This is an essential guide for anyone involved in plastic waste or recycling, including researchers and advanced students across plastics engineering, polymer science, polymer chemistry, environmental science, and sustainable materials.
- Presents actionable solutions for reducing plastic waste, with a focus on the concepts of collection, re-use, recycling and replacement
- Considers major societal and environmental issues, providing the reader with a broader understanding and supporting effective implementation
- Includes detailed case studies from across the globe, offering unique insights into different solutions and approaches
Academia: Researchers and advanced students across plastics engineering, polymer science, polymer chemistry, environmental science, and sustainable materials. Industry: Scientists, R&D professionals and engineers, in the areas of plastics processing and products, plastics recycling
1. Introduction to plastic waste and recycling
Trevor M. Letcher
2. Production, use, and fate of synthetic polymers
3. The geography and geology of plastics: their environmental
distribution and fate
Sarah Gabbott, Sarah Key, Catherine Russell, Yasmin Yohan and
4. Biobased plastics
5. Biodegradable plastics
Maja Rujnic Havstad
6. Current industry position on plastic production and recycling
Edward Kosior and Jonathan Mitchell
7. Plastic waste in the terrestrial environment
Rachel Hurley, Alice Horton, Amy Lusher and Luca Nizzetto
8. The environmental impacts of plastic pollution
Natalie A. Welden
9. Microplastics: from origin to impacts
Natalie A. Welden and Amy Lusher
10. Textiles production and end-of-life management options
11. Mechanical recycling of packaging waste
Alexander Feil and Thomas Pretz
12. Blast furnace feedstock and coke oven chemical feedstock
13. Chemical routes for recyclingddissolving, catalytic, and
Maija Pohjakallio and Tommi Vuorinen
14. Conversion of plastic waste to fuel
Mohanraj Chandran, Senthilkumar Tamilkolundu and
15. The treatment of plastic in automobile shredder residue
Alfons Buekens and Trevor M. Letcher
16. Solutions to the plastic waste problem on land and in the
Edward Kosior and Irene Crescenzi
17. Plastics we cannot live without
18. Secondary plastic productsdexamples and market trends
19. Plastic waste in a circular economy
John N. Hahladakis, Eleni Iacovidou and Spyridoula Gerassimidou
20. Ecological and health issues of plastic waste
Cayla R. Cook and Rolf U. Halden
21. Policy responses to plastic pollution in Asia: summary of a
regional gap analysis
Lewis Akenji, Magnus Bengtsson, Yasuhiko Hotta, Mizuki Kato and
22. The challenge of plastic pollution in Nigeria
Emeka Dumbili and Lesley Henderson
23. Plastic waste in the United Kingdom
24. European Union’s plastic strategy and an impact assessment
of the proposed directive on tackling single-use plastics items
Tim Elliott, Hannah Gillie and Alice Thomson
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 10th March 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Letcher was Professor of Chemistry, and Head of Department in South Africa (University of the Witwatersrand, Rhodes University and Natal) (1969 -2004). He has has published over 300 papers on chemical thermodynamic topics in peer reviewed journals; and 100 papers in popular science and education journals. He has edited and written 28 books ranging from Future Energy Climate Change, Storing Energy, Wind Energy, Solar Energy, Managing Global Warming and Unraveling Environmental Disasters. He has been awarded gold medals by the South African Institute of Chemistry and the South African Association for the Advancement of Science. He is currently Emeritus Professor at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa and living in the United Kingdom.
Emeritus Professor, School of Chemistry, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.