Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
This book ties together history, legislation and economics to create an awareness of what chances an individual will have when he selects a location for a plant. Key costs are discussed including those mandated by the environment and by legislation. The impact of cultures, both past and present, upon the opportunity for economic success are reviewed. It is a ""How To"" and a ""Beware"" presentation of plant location, both domestic and international.
The book is designed to provide chief executive officers, manufacturing vice presidents, chief engineers and engineers a checklist of things to do in analyzing a potential plant site. It is also designed to provide state and local industrial development staffs' guidance in their efforts to obtain industry. New entrepreneurs will find this book to be useful in making presentations to financial agencies.
The do's and don'ts of plant location are dealt with from both the current and historical prospective. The impact of legislation upon manufacturing costs and thereby industry location is covered by both current and past examples.
Examples of failed locations from both industry and site planners perspectives are provided. The book shows how to choose the best location in a country through arraying the basic economic and social facts in an orderly manner. Both tangible and intangible cost analysis and factor weighting are covered. Included are the impact of customs, legal systems, ways of doing business upon costs, management style and plant efficiency.
Current legislation's potential impact upon plant location is evaluated. This review includes GATT, NAFT A, CBI and other international direct and indirect influences on markets and costs. Also the present and potential impact of OSHA, ADA, EPA and other national mandates is covered.
Chief executive officers, manufacturing vice presidents, chief engineers and engineers a checklist of things to do in analyzing a potential plant site.
- Introduction Background Key Preparations Industrial Development Economics Summary
- Evaluating Tools Developing a Location Yardstick Plant Reviews Summary
- Plant Layout Sizing a Plant Layout
- Business Plan Introduction Score's Outline Summary General Reference
- Environmental/Natural Resources Introduction Mineral Resources Agriculutral and Forest Resources Water Climate
- Population-Labor Supply
- Utilities Introduction Power Fuel Effluent and Waste Disposal
- Transportation Introduction Transportation as a Location Factor Air Rail Truck Water Community Data Summary
- Tangible Versus Intangible Factors of Location
- Development and Use of Economic Data Sheets
- Funding Industrial Development Introduction Local Inducement for Industrial Development Industrial Development Corporations or Foundations Capital Formation and Credit Facilities State Development Groups Conclusion
- Early Creation of Cities Introduction Legislative Creation of Communities Importance of Trade Routes
- Early Uses of Legislation to Build Industry Mercantilist's Era Kameralists' Era
- Geopolitics-Expanding Self-Sufficient Pivotal Regions
- United States Industrial Development Early Colonial Development Influence of Trade Routes on the Growth and Development of U.S. Cities The Railroad Era of the United States
- Summary of Part Three - Historical Basis for the Growth of Cities
- Theories of Plant Location Introduction Economic Industrial Geography Engineering Political Theories Summary of Theories
- Public Policy in Respect to Location National Taxes and Services State and Local Taxes and Services Legislation of Planning for Development Evaluating Existing Plants Specific Problems in Plant Location
- History of Development Agencies-Purpose and Effectiveness United States Development Agencies Functions of Industrial Development Agencies Analyzing a Local Economy and Developing Its Potential Analyzing a Regional or National Economy and Developing Its Potential
- Summary and Conclusion
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 1995
- 31st December 1995
- William Andrew
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN: