Learn to provide effective therapy for children and adolescents! Pediatric Skills for Occupational Therapy Assistants, 5th Edition covers the entire scope of pediatric OT practice, from normal childhood development to pediatric disorders and treatment planning. Case studies and helpful tips reinforce your understanding and make it easier to apply OT principles to the clinical setting. This edition is thoroughly updated with online videos and new coverage of community systems, physical agent modalities, childhood obesity, Model of Human Occupation assessments, and Kinesio Taping®. Written by noted OTA educators Jean Solomon and Jane O'Brien, this resource is both a comprehensive textbook and a practical clinical reference!
- Hundreds of case examples provide snapshots of real-life situations and solutions, helping you apply key concepts in a real-life setting.
- UNIQUE! Clinical Pearls boxes highlight practical advice from the authors and contributors, sharing what they have learned from years of experience.
- Coverage of evidence-based practice includes clinical trials and outcome studies, especially those relating to evaluation and intervention.
- Coverage of cultural diversity and sensitivity issues addresses the many different groups of people that OTAs treat in practice.
- Information on preventive care takes the role of the OTA beyond intervention and treatment.
- Family-centered perspective uses the terminology of the AOTA Practice Framework in showing how to tailor your treatment to meet the needs of children from different environments.
- Key terms, outlines, and objectives at the beginning of each chapter prepare readers for the information they're expected to learn from the chapter.
- Content reviews and questions at the end of each chapter summarize key concepts and help you assess your understanding.
- Suggested activities in each chapter help readers to bridge the gap between the classroom and the clinic by exploring realistic situations.
- UNIQUE! Learning resources on the Evolve companion website include video clips, case studies, and review questions, reinforcing your understanding and demonstrating how concepts apply to actual practice.
1.Scope of Practice
6.Principles of Normal Development
7.Development of Performance Skills
8.Development of Occupations
9.Adolescent Development: Becoming an Adolescent, Becoming an Adult
10.The Occupational Therapy Process
11.Anatomy and Physiology for the Pediatric Practitioner
12.Neuroanatomy for the Pediatric Practitioner
13.Pediatric Health Conditions
14.Childhood and Adolescent Psychosocial and Mental Health Disorders
15.Childhood and Adolescent Obesity
18.Positioning and Handling: An Neurodevelopmental Approach
19.Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and Sleep/Rest
20.Instrumental Activities of Daily Living
21.Play and Playfulness
22.Functional Task at School: Handwriting
23.Therapeutic Media: Activity with Purpose
24.Motor Control and Motor Learning
25.Sensory Processing/Integration and Occupation
26.Applying the Model of Human Occupation to Pediatric Practice
28.Orthoses, Orthosis Fabrication, and Elastic Therapeutic Taping for the Pediatric Population
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2021
- 11th September 2020
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Occupational Therapist, Berkeley County School District, Moncks Corner, SC
Associate Professor, Occupational Therapy Department, Westbrook College of Health Professions, University of New England, Portland, Maine
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.