Learn the what, how, and why of pathophysiology! With easy-to-read, in-depth descriptions of disease, disease etiology, and disease processes, Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children, 8th Edition helps you understand the most important and most complex pathophysiology concepts. This updated text includes more than 1,300 full-color illustrations and photographs to make it easier to identify normal anatomy and physiology, as well as alterations of function. This edition includes a NEW chapter on obesity and nutritional disorders, along with expanded coverage of rare diseases and epigenetics. It’s the most comprehensive and authoritative pathophysiology text available!
- The most comprehensive and authoritative pathophysiology text on the market provides unparalleled coverage of Pathophysiology content.
- Over 1,300 full-color illustrations and photographs depict the clinical manifestations of disease and disease processes — more than in any other pathophysiology text.
- Consistent presentation of diseases includes pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment.
- Lifespan content includes ten separate pediatric chapters and special sections with aging and pediatrics content.
- Outstanding authors Kathryn McCance and Sue Huether have extensive backgrounds as researchers and instructors, and utilize expert contributors, consultants, and reviewers in developing this edition.
- Algorithms and flowcharts of diseases and disorders make it easy for you to follow the sequential progression of disease processes.
- Additional What’s New boxes highlight the most current research and clinical development.
- Nutrition and Disease boxes explain the link between concepts of health promotion and disease.
- Chapter summary reviews provide concise synopses of the main points of each chapter.
Part 1: CENTRAL CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY: CELLS AND TISSUES
Unit I: THE CELL
1. Cellular Biology
2. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology: Environmental Agents
3. The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
Unit II: GENES AND GENE-ENVIRONMENT INTERACTION
4. Genes and Genetic Diseases
5. Genes, Environment-Lifestyle, and Common Diseases
6. Epigenetics and Disease
Unit III: MECHANISMS OF SELF-DEFENSE
7. Innate Immunity: Inflammation
8. Adaptive Immunity
9. Alterations in Immunity and Inflammation
11. Stress and Disease
Unit IV. CELLULAR PROLIFERATION: CANCER
12. Cancer Biology
13. Cancer Epidemiology
14. Cancer in Children
Part 2: PATHOPHYSIOLOGIC ALTERATIONS: ORGANS AND SYSTEMS
Unit V: THE NEUROLOGIC SYSTEM
15. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
16. Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function
17. Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function
18. Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and the Neuromuscular Junction
19. Neurobiology of Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders
20. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
Unit VI: THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM
21. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
22. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
23. Obesity and Disorders of Nutrition NEW CHAPTER
Unit VII: THE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEMS
24. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems
25. Alterations of the Female Reproductive System
26. Alterations of the Male Reproductive System
27. Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit VIII: THE HEMATOLOGIC SYSTEM
28. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
29. Alterations of Erythrocyte, Plate
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2019
- 30th September 2017
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Professor, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT