Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Parallels of Power: An Introduction to Some Individualists of Church and State is a 21-chapter text that covers the leading persons in Church and State in their respective periods of history.
In the early days of the Church the Christian fathers worked inside the framework of the Roman Empire and used its organization as the basis for the spreading Christian churches. By the 17th century then, the relations between Church and State had turned full circle, from the early days of struggle between them for supremacy, the Church had become the main support of the National State. Each chapter discusses the life story, influence, and the struggles of the leading religious figures, both in Church and State. Professional historians will find this book rewarding.
1. Saint Dunstan (909-88)
2. Archbishop Lanfranc (1005-88)
3. Hildebrand (Pope Gregory VII) (1025-85)
4. Thomas Becket (1118-70)
5. Stephen Langton (c. 1168-1228)
6. Pope Innocent III (1160-1216)
7. Cardinal Wolsey (1475-1530)
8. Martin Luther (1483-1546)
9. John Knox (1514-72)
10. Archbishop Laud (1573-1645)
11. Cardinal Richelieu (1585-1642)
12. John Wesley (1703-91)
13. Pope Pius VII (1740-1823)
14. Cardinal Manning (1808-92)
15. General William Booth (1829-1912)
16. Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92)
17. Rasputin (1873-1916)
18. The Very Reverend Dr. Hewlett Johnson (1874- )
19. Archbishop Temple (1881-1944)
20. Archbishop Makarios (1913- )
21. The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King (1929- )
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 1966
- 1st January 1966
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.