@bul:* Provides the first complete description of osteoporosis in men--epidemiology, clinical character, basic aspects, and research directions
* Discusses appropriate diagnostic, prevention, and treatment options
* Covers a wide range of topics, including the economic impact of fractures on health care expenses
* Includes a description of the roles of androgen and estrogen in men
* Discusses bone mass measurements and their clinical utility
* Explores the essential role of gender in the manifestations of osteoporosis. How is this disorder different in men, and how can we learn from these differences?
Table of Contents
- E. Orwoll, Introduction.
J. Melton, Epidemiology of Fractures.
A. Tosteson, Economic Impact of Fractures.
C. Cooper and F. Anderson, Hip and Vertebral Fractures.
D. Gold, Outcomes and the Personal Impact of Osteoporosis.
V. Gilsanz, Accumulation of Bone Mass During Childhood and Adolescence.
E. Seeman, Skeletal Structure.
R. Marcus and B. Beck, Exercise, Muscle Strength, and Bone.
C. Rosen, Growth Factors and Skeletal Health.
B. Dawson-Hughes, Calcium and Vitamin D Nutrition.
E. Orwoll and K. Wiren, Androgens and Bone Health.
E. Orwoll, Androgens and Bone: Clinical Aspects.
S. Khosla, L. Riggs, T. Spelsberg, and R. Turner, Estrogens and Bone Health.
E. Eriksen, Age-related Changes in Bone Remodeling.
L. Mosekilde, Trabecular Microarchitecture and Aging.
B. Martin, Aging and Changes in Cortical Mass and Structure.
B. Halloran and D. Bikle, Age-related Changes in Mineral Metabolism.
J. Eisman, Risk Factors for Low Bone Mass.
J. Cauley, Factors Associated with Fractures.
J. Bilezikian, Idiopathic Osteoporosis.
I. Reid, Glucocorticoids and Osteoporosis.
B. Klein, Alcohol.
J. Zerwekh and C. Pak, Hypercalciuria and Bone Disease.
P. Ebeling, Other Causes of Osteoporosis.
P. Ross, The Assessment of Bone Mass in Men.
E. Orwoll, Evaluation and Therapy.
- No. of pages: 582
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 1999
- Published: June 10, 1999
- Imprint: Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: 9780080538259
About the Editor
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Osteoporosis in Men"