Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Organic Synthesis, Fourth Edition, provides a reaction-based approach to this important branch of organic chemistry. Updated and accessible, this eagerly-awaited revision offers a comprehensive foundation for graduate students coming from disparate backgrounds and knowledge levels, to provide them with critical working knowledge of basic reactions, stereochemistry and conformational principles. This reliable resource uniquely incorporates molecular modeling content, problems, and visualizations, and includes reaction examples and homework problems drawn from the latest in the current literature.
In the Fourth Edition, the organization of the book has been improved to better serve students and professors and accommodate important updates in the field. The first chapter reviews basic retrosynthesis, conformations and stereochemistry. The next three chapters provide an introduction to and a review of functional group exchange reactions; these are followed by chapters reviewing protecting groups, oxidation and reduction reactions and reagents, hydroboration, selectivity in reactions. A separate chapter discusses strategies of organic synthesis, and he book then delves deeper in teaching the reactions required to actually complete a synthesis. Carbon-carbon bond formation reactions using both nucleophilic carbon reactions are presented, and then electrophilic carbon reactions, followed by pericyclic reactions and radical and carbene reactions. The important organometallic reactions have been consolidated into a single chapter. Finally, the chapter on combinatorial chemistry has been removed from the strategies chapter and placed in a separate chapter, along with valuable and forward-looking content on green organic chemistry, process chemistry and continuous flow chemistry.
Throughout the text, Organic Synthesis, Fourth Edition utilizes Spartan-generated molecular models, class tested content, and useful pedagogical features to aid student study and retention, including Chapter Review Questions, and Homework Problems. PowerPoint© presentations and answer keys are also available online to support instructors.
- Winner of a 2018 Textbook Excellence Award (College) (Texty) from the Textbook and Academic Authors Association
- Fully revised and updated throughout, and teorganized into 19 chapters for a more cogent and versatile presentation of concepts
- Includes reaction examples taken from literature research reported between 2010-2015
- Features new full-color art and new chapter content on process chemistry and green organic chemistry
- Offers valuable study and teaching tools, including Chapter Review Questions and Homework Problems for students; Lecture presentations and other useful material for qualified course instructors
Graduate and postgraduate chemistry students and researchers
1. Retrosynthesis, Stereochemistry, and Conformations
2. Acids, Bases and Functional Group Exchange Reactions
3. Protecting Groups
4. Synthetic Strategies
8. Stereocontrol and Ring Formation
9. Cd Disconnect Products: Nucleophilic Species That Form Carbon-Carbon Bonds
10. Cd Disconnect Products: S and P Carbanions
11. Cd Disconnect Products: Nucleophilic Species That Form Carbon-Carbon Bonds: Enolate Anions
12. Pericyclic Reactions: The Diels-Alder Reaction
13. Pericyclic Reactions: [m+n]-Cycoadditions, Sigmatropic Rearrangements, Electrocyclic and Ene reactions
14. Ca Disconnect Products: Electrophilic Carbon-Carbon Bond Forming Reactions
15. Carbon Radical Disconnect Products: Formation of Carbon-Carbon Bonds Via Radicals and Carbenes
16. Metal-Mediated Reactions
17. Process Chemistry and Combinatorial Chemistry
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2016
- 22nd November 2016
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Professor of Chemistry, University of Connecticut, USA
Department of Chemistry, University of Connecticut, USA
Winner of a 2018 Textbook Excellence Award (College) (Texty) from the Textbook and Academic Authors Association
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.