Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
- Preface to the Second Edition
- Preface to the First Edition
- Chapter 1: World Oat Production, Trade, and Usage
- ECONOMIC VALUE
- GRADING STANDARDS
- KEY GOVERNMENT POLICY
- FUTURE TRENDS
- Chapter 2: Oat Breeding
- GENETIC RESOURCES
- BREEDING OBJECTIVES
- BREEDING METHODS
- FUNDING OF BREEDING AND ASSOCIATED RESEARCH
- Chapter 3: Hulless Oat Development, Applications, and Opportunities
- COMMERCIAL PRODUCTION AND USES
- FUTURE HULLESS OAT DEVELOPMENT, APPLICATIONS, AND OPPORTUNITIES
- Chapter 4: Molecular Genetics of Quality in Oats
- GENETIC MAPPING AND QTL ANALYSIS IN OATS
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF CHEMICAL COMPOSITION
- GENETICS OF PHYSICAL KERNEL TRAITS AND MILLING QUALITY
- GENETICS OF DISEASE RESISTANCE
- GENETICS OF AGRONOMIC TRAITS
- UTILIZATION OF MOLECULAR MARKERS
- INTERSPECIFIC CROSSES AND DOUBLED HAPLOIDS
- OAT TISSUE CULTURE
- OAT TRANSFORMATION
- FUNCTIONAL GENOMICS OF OATS
- ORGANELLE GENETICS
- FUTURE OF MOLECULAR GENETICS OF OAT QUALITY
- Chapter 5: Microstructure and Chemistry of the Oat Kernel
- ANALYTICAL TECHNIQUES
- STRUCTURE AND CHEMISTRY OF THE MATURE OAT
- Chapter 6: Nutrient Composition and Nutritional Quality of Oats and Comparisons with Other Cereals
- NATURAL VARIATION IN NUTRIENT COMPOSITION
- PROXIMATE CONSTITUENTS
- ENERGY CONTENT
- FATTY ACID COMPOSITION
- DIETARY FIBER COMPONENTS
- MICRONUTRIENT COMPOSITION
- NUTRITIONAL QUALITY
- OAT BRAN AND WHEAT BRAN
- OTHER MINOR COMPONENTS
- OATS AND CELIAC DISEASE
- Chapter 7: Oat Starch: Physicochemical Properties and Function
- ISOLATION AND PURIFICATION OF OAT STARCH
- CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF OAT STARCH
- PHYSICAL PROPERTIES AND GRANULE MORPHOLOGY
- PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND RHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF OAT STARCH
- OAT STARCH IN FOOD AND OTHER INDUSTRIES
- FUTURE WORK
- Chapter 8: Storage Proteins
- CLASSIFICATION AND SOLUBILITY FRACTIONATION
- SYNTHESIS AND CELLULAR LOCATION
- GENETIC EFFECTS
- ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS
- FOOD, FEED, AND FUNCTIONALITY
- Chapter 9: Oat Lipids, Enzymes, and Quality
- LIPID CONTENT AND LIPID COMPOSITION
- LOCALIZATION OF LIPIDS IN OAT HULL AND KERNEL
- STARCH LIPIDS
- ANALYSIS OF TOTAL LIPIDS AND STARCH LIPIDS
- LIPID-RELATED ENZYMES
- OAT ANTIOXIDANTS AND LIPID STABILITY
- PROCESSING AND STORAGE
- UTILIZATION OF OAT LIPIDS AND LIPID-RELATED ENZYMES
- Chapter 10: Oat Phenolics: Biochemistry and Biological Functionality
- FREE PHENOLIC ACIDS AND RELATED COMPOUNDS
- ALKYLPHENOLS AND RELATED COMPOUNDS
- FLAVONOIDS AND RELATED COMPOUNDS
- PHENOLIC ACID AMIDES, ESTERS, AND POLYMERIC ETHERS
- Phenolic Acids Conjugated with Amines
- Phenolic Esters with n-Alkanols
- Phenolic Esters with Sugars and Polysaccharides
- Phenolic Polymeric Ethers and Lignin
- SUMMARY AND FUTURE RESEARCH DIRECTIONS
- Chapter 11: Oat β-Glucan: Properties and Function
- OCCURRENCE AND LOCATION
- PHYSICOCHEMICAL PROPERTIES
- Chapter 12: Oats as a Functional Food for Health
- BLOOD LIPID EFFECTS IN ANIMALS
- BLOOD LIPID EFFECTS IN HUMANS
- BLOOD PRESSURE
- Chapter 13: Current and Potential Health Claims for Oat Products
- PURPOSE AND IMPACT OF HEALTH CLAIMS
- SCIENTIFIC SUBSTANTIATION OF HEALTH-RELATED CLAIMS IN THE UNITED STATES
- AUTHORIZED HEALTH CLAIMS IN THE UNITED STATES THAT OAT PRODUCTS MAY UTILIZE
- Chapter 14: Oat Milling: Specifications, Storage, and Processing
- MILLING-OAT SPECIFICATIONS
- OAT STORAGE AND HANDLING
- OAT MILLING
- SUMMARY AND DISCUSSION
- Chapter 15: Oat Dietary Fiber: Commercial Processes and Functional Attributes
- METHODS TO ENRICH β-GLUCAN AND IMPROVE FUNCTIONALITY
- OAT-HULL FIBER
- Chapter 16: Flavor and Texture in Processing of New Oat Foods
- EFFECT OF PROCESSING ON OAT FLAVOR
- INFLUENCE OF STORAGE ON PRODUCT QUALITY
- EFFECT OF PROCESSING ON OAT TEXTURE
- THE POTENTIAL AND THE CHALLENGES OF OATS IN FOODS
- Chapter 17: Oat Utilization: Past, Present, and Future
- PRODUCTS AND APPLICATIONS IN FOODS
- HEALTH BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH OAT CONSUMPTION
- MISCELLANEOUS OAT APPLICATIONS
For the first major update of this topic in 21 years, editors Webster and Wood have gathered an elite group of internationally recognized experts. This new edition addresses all aspects of oat chemistry, processing, nutrition, and plant genetics. It reflects the considerable changes in the science and food uses of oats that have occurred during the last two decades.
Each chapter presents an in-depth review of a specific research area complete with an extensive bibliography. The book provides an important summary of oat nutritional research and associated health claims that have been granted in recognition of the nutritional benefits associated with oat consumption. The individual chapters on component chemistry and functionality provide an excellent resource for product developers in their quest to design new, healthy, oat-based food products. The chapters on oat molecular biology and oat breeding coupled with the extensive works on oat nutrition provide direction to researchers interested in developing oats with enhanced nutrition.
Oats: Chemistry and Technology, Second Edition, is the only up-to-date review of oat chemistry and technology and will be a valuable resource for food science professionals including nutritionists, cereal chemists, plant biochemists, plant breeders, molecular biologists, grain millers, and product development and research scientists.
Improve Your Knowledge About This Super Grain
Covers all areas of oat technology - Single source provides in-depth review of all aspects of oat technology.
Provides an excellent source of oat nutritional information - Includes details of oat nutritional studies and potential health claims with a special emphasis on β-glucans.
Offers authoritative descriptions of oat composition and functional properties - Provides researchers and food scientists with key chemical and application information.
Highlights oat improvement opportunities - Breeding and molecular information provides researchers direction on oat improvement opportunities.
Updates our knowledge of oat-processing technology - Provides in-depth discussion of oat milling and oat fractionation.
Demystifies oat phenolics - Provides a peer-reviewed, in-depth discussion of oat phenolic chemistry and functional attributes.
- 1st January 2011
- eBook ISBN:
"As in all volumes of this series, the coverage is encyclopedic and many cereal scientists will need to look no further for their day-to-day requirements. It is difficult to envisage that any serious competing volumes on oats will be published in the near future and I anticipate using my copy on a regular basis for many years." --Journal of Cereal Science
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.