Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Part 1 History of Traditional foods In South Asia
1. Eating habits, food cultures and traditions in South Asia Region
Part 2 Food, Nutrition and Health in India
3. Diet related nutrition and health issues in Indian population
4. Nutritional sufficiency of traditional meal patterns
5. Forest foods for tribals in selected regions of India and their sustainability
6. Traditional preserved and fermented foods and their nutritional aspects
7. The dietary practices and food related rituals in Indian tradition and their role in health and nutrition
8. Functional foods in Indian tradition and their significance for health
9. Traditional Foods, Ayurveda and Diet
10. Foods from the ocean for nutrition, health and wellness
Part 3 Food, Nutrition and Health in Sri Lanka
12. Traditional and ethnic foods of Sri Lanka - Safety aspectS
13. Traditional functional food of Sri Lanka and their health significance
Part 4 Food, Nutrition and Health in Nepal
15. Traditional fermented food of Nepal and their nutritional and nutraceutical potential
16. Health and nutritional aspect of under-utilized high value food grain of high hills and mountains of Nepa
Part 5 Food, Nutrition and Health in Bangladesh
18. Role of traditional foods of Bangladesh in reaching-out of nutrition
19. Nutritional and health issues in Bangladesh and solutions through traditional foods
Part 6 Food, Nutrition and Health in Pakistan
21. Food, nutrition and health issues in Pakistan
Part 7 Food, Nutrition and Health in Iran
23. Traditional food and practices for health: Iranian dairy Foods
Part 8 Common Regulatory and Safety issue and Future outlook for South Asia Region
24. Lifecycle stages of food safety of traditional foods
25. Regulations for manufacturing traditional foods - Global and Regional Challenges
26. Marketing of traditional and functional foods for reach-out of nutrition
Nutritional and Health Aspects of Food in South Asian Countries provides an analysis of traditional and ethnic foods from the South Asia Region, including India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Iran. The book addresses the history of use, origin, composition, preparation, ingredient composition, nutritional aspects, and the effects on the health of various foods and food products in each of these countries from the perspective of their Traditional and Ethnic Foods. In addition, the book presents local and international regulations and provides suggestions on how to harmonize regulations and traditional practices to promote safety and global availability of these foods.
- Analyzes nutritional and health claims related to South Asian foods
- Explores both scientific and anecdotal diet-based health claims
- Examines how these traditional foods can be viewed from regulatory requirements and how to address any noncompliance in dynamics or regulations
- Reviews the influence of historical eating habits on today’s diets and its combinatorial effect for health and wellness
Researchers, professionals (including nutritionists, dieticians, food scientists, food technologists, toxicologists, regulators, and product developers), educators, and students
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 16th March 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Jamuna Prakash is serving as Visiting Professor for International Union of Food Sciences & Technology and Department of Food Science & Biotechnology, Zhegiang Gongshang University, China. A former Professor of Food Science & Nutrition at University of Mysore, India, with vast teaching and research experience, she is a Fellow of IUFOST and National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, India. She has had an exemplary academic career with many awards and accolades and credited with more than 250 research and review papers, 15 books/book chapters, more than 400 presentations and successful completion of many research and educational projects. Her research interests are compositional analysis of foods, product formulation, sensory evaluation, nutrient digestibility and bioavailability, nutrition status of population, food behaviour. She is a member of many National and International committees, life member of many professional organizations and serves as Indian Ambassador for Global Harmonization Initiative, Austria.
Fellow, International Union of Food Science and Technology; Visiting Professor, Zhejiang Gongshang University, China; Ambassador for India, Global Harmonisation Initiative
Dr. Viduranga Waisundara is currently the Deputy Principal of the Australian College of Business & Technology – Kandy Campus, Sri Lanka. She obtained her Ph.D from the Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore in Food Science & Technology in 2010. She was a lecturer at Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore from July 2009 – March 2013. Following this, she relocated to her motherland of Sri Lanka and spearheaded the Functional Food Product Development Project at the National Institute of Fundamental Studies from April 2013 – October 2016. Thereafter, she was a Senior Lecturer on a temporary basis at the Department of Food Technology, Faculty of Technology, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka from January 2017 – July 2018.
Australian College of Business and Technology – Kandy Campus, Sri Lanka
Dr. V. Prakash is currently the Vice-President of IUNS (2017-2021); President of ISNANN, INDIA; Chairman, India Region of European Hygienic Engineering Design Group, Germany; Adjunct Professor at RUAS, Bangalore, India; and Adjunct Professor at ICT, Mumbai, India. He was Former Director of CFTRI, Mysore, and Distinguished Scientist of CSIR, India. He has received more than 65 National and International awards including one of the high Civilian Awards Padmashree, Coveted Bhatnagar Award for Science and Technology and Rajyothsava awards and several Lifetime Achievement Awards from organizations like FICCI, IUFoST, in India and abroad. He is currently serving in the editorial board of many Food Science and Technology and Nutrition Journals and is in the editorial board of numerous books. He is also Chairman, Scientific Council of IUFoST. Prakash has 212 peer reviewed research publications, 55 Patents Filed and is author of 12 Books and 9 more Books are in pipeline.
Vice President, International Union of Nutritional Sciences; Scientific Chair, International Union of Food Science and Technology; Adjunct Professor, Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, India; Adjunct Professor, Institute of Chemical Technology, India; Visiting Professor, Zhejiang Gongshang University, China; Founder Board Member, Global Harmonisation Initiative; Distinguished Scientist of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.