This book bridges the gap between the theoretical work of the rheologist, and the practical needs of those who have to design and operate the systems in which these materials are handled or processed. It is an established and important reference for senior level mechanical engineers, chemical and process engineers, as well as any engineer or scientist who needs to study or work with these fluids, including pharmaceutical engineers, mineral processing engineers, medical researchers, water and civil engineers. This new edition covers a considerably broader range of topics than its predecessor, including computational fluid dynamics modelling techniques, liquid/solid flows and applications to areas such as food processing, among others.
- Written by two of the world's leading experts, this is the only dedicated non-Newtonian flow reference in print.
- Since first publication significant advances have been made in almost all areas covered in this book, which are incorporated in the new edition, including developments in CFD and computational techniques, velocity profiles in pipes, liquid/solid flows and applications to food processing, and new heat/mass transfer methods and models.
- Covers both basic rheology and the fluid mechanics of NN fluids ? a truly self-contained reference for anyone studying or working with the processing and handling of fluids
Senior undergraduate and post graduate students in chemical, polymer, mechanical, food, pharmaceutical, petroleum and environmental engineering disciplines. Practicing engineers in industries related with the handling/processing/manufacturing of foodstuffs, polymers, chemicals, oil, paint, ceramics, minerals, slurries, sewage and effluent, pharmaceutical, house-hold and personal care products.
- Non-Newtonian fluid behaviour
- Rheometry for non-Newtonian fluids
- Flow in pipes and in conduits of non-circular cross-sections
- Flow of multi-phase mixtures in pipes
- Particulate systems
- Heat transfer characteristics of non-Newtonian fluids in pipes
- Momentum, heat and mass transfer in boundary layers
- Liquid mixing Problems
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2008
- 21st July 2008
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Raj has over 20 years of experience in chemical engineering; his specialism is fluid flow and heat transfer. He won the RPG Life Science Professor M M Sharma medal & the Chemcon distinguished speaker award in 2013. He is a fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, and is an editorial board member of 2 Elsevier journals. He has written 7 books and has contributed over 300 papers to both journals and contributed books.
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
University of Wales Swansea, UK
"The authors have done a most creditable job of producing a very readable reference of value to both engineers in industry and engineering students." --Chemical Engineering