Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
New and Future Developments in Microbial Biotechnology and Bioengineering: Penicillium System Properties and Applications covers important research work on the applications of penicillium from specialists from an international perspective. The book compiles advancements and ongoing processes in the penicillium system, along with updated information on the possibilities for future developments. All chapters are derived from current peer reviewed literature as accepted by the international scientific community.
These important fungi were found to secrete a range of novel enzymes and other useful proteins, and are still being extensively studied and improved for specific use in the food, textile, pulp and paper, biocellulosic ethanol production and other industries. The book caters to the needs of researchers/academicians dealing with penicillium spp. related research and applications, outlining emerging issues on recent advancements made in the area of research and its applications in bioprocess technology, chemical engineering, molecular taxonomy, biofuels/bioenergy research and alternative fuel development.
In addition, the book also describes the identification of useful compound combinations/enzyme cocktails and the fermentation conditions required to obtain them at an industrial scale. Finally, the book provides updated information on the best utilization of these fungi as a natural tool to meet the next challenges of biotechnology.
- Compiles the latest developments and current studies in the penicillium system
- Contains chapters contributed by top researchers with global appeal
- Includes current applications in bioindustry and lists future potential applications of these fungi species
- Identifies future research needs for these important fungi, including the best utilization of them as a natural tool to meet the next challenges of biotechnology
Bioengineers, Biochemical Engineers, Biochemists, Biotechnologists, food technologists, enzymologists, and related Professionals/ researchers. Graduate and postgraduate students, researchers and microbiologists, mycologists
I: Penicillium: Biology to biotechnology
1. Biodiversity of the Genus Penicillium in Different Habitats
2. Understanding the Diversity of Penicillium using Next-Generation Sequencing
II: Secondary metabolism
3. Secondary Metabolism and Antimicrobial Metabolites of Penicillium
4. Recent Advancements on the Role of Biologically Active Secondary Metabolites from Aspergillus
5. Molecular Techniques to Register and Commercialize a Penicillium rubens Strain as a Biocontrol Agent
IV: Applications6. Penicillium Enzymes for the Saccharification of Lignocellulosic Feedstocks
7. Beta-Glucosidase from Penicillium
8. Molecula Mechanism of Cellulase Production
9. Penicillium Enzymes for the Food Industries
10. Penicillium: A Fungus in the Wine and Beer Industries
11. Penicillium Enzymes for the Textile Industry
12. Metabolic Diversity of Penicilliun
13. Biosynthesis of Nanoparticles by Penicillium and their Medical Applications14. Role of Penicillium Species in Bioremediation
15. Diversity and Applications of Penicillium spp. in Plant-Growth Promotion
16. Usefulness of Penicillium in Enhancing Plants Resistance to Abiotic Stresses: An Overview
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2017
- 12th September 2017
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Dr Vijai G. Gupta is an Assistant Professor of Biotechnology at MITS University of India. Currently he is working as Research Scientist at National University of Ireland in Galway. Dr. Gupta’s present work is focused on the development and optimization of novel Enzyme-based bioconversion systems for biorefining and bioenergy. He has been honored with several awards, including the prestigious Indian ICAR Senior Research Fellowship and Indian Young Scientist Award. He has submitted 33 new fungal nucleotide sequences and deposited 147 fungal strains in International databases. His work with Fusarium spp., Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, Penicillium spp. and Trichoderma spp. is augmented by contributions to biotechnological development, molecular diversity, secondary metabolites and industrial applications Dr. Gupta is the editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Plant Pathology and a regional editorial board member of 8 other respected journals. He is the author of 40 journal articles and 27 book chapters. Gupta has also written and edited books and series from reputed publishers, including CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, USA; Springer, USA; Elsevier, USA; Nova Science Publisher, USA and LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany.
Department of Chemistry and Biotechnology, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia
Susana Rodríguez-Couto (female) got her B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Chemistry (Industrial Chemistry) from the University of Santiago de Compostela in 1992 and her Ph.D. in Chemistry in 1999 from the University of Vigo, obtaining the maximal grade (magna cum laude) and, in addition, she was awarded with the Extraordinary Prize for Doctoral Thesis in Chemistry. She worked as an Associate Professor and an Isidro Parga Pondal Senior Researcher at the University of Vigo (2000-2004), as a Ramón y Cajal Senior Researcher at Rovira i Virgili University (2004-2008) and as an Ikerbasque Research Professor (2009-2019). She has also worked as an Invited Researcher at the Institute from Environmental Biotechnology, Graz University of Technology (Austria) and at the Department of Biological Engineering, University of Minho (Portugal). In 2008, she received the I3 Professor from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Education to the recognition of an outstanding research activity. In March 2021 she is joining LUT School of Engineering Science at Mikkeli, Finland, as a Full Professor in biological water treatment. She has published more than 140 articles in highly reputed international journals (h index 42). She is editor of several journals (3Biotech, Frontiers) and 14 Elsevier books.
Full Professor (Biological Water Treatment), Department of Separation Science, LUT School of Engineering Science, LUT University, FINLAND
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.