In this unique book, Dr. Bertorini guides you through more than 100 cases that demonstrate the diagnosis and management of a wide range of common and rare neuromuscular disorders. No other reference boasts such a large array of clinical studies devoted to all areas of this broad topic! Each case study reviews the etiologies, pathogenesis, differential diagnosis, and management of a particular disorder, helping you not only recognize its presentation, but also determine a diagnosis and the best treatment plans for your patients. You’ll also find expert guidance on the basic mechanisms of neuromuscular disorders, clinical examination, and diagnostic tests—including EMG, muscle biopsy, genetic testing, and more.
- More than 100 detailed case studies explore both common and rare neuromuscular disorders and the treatment protocols for each, equipping you with the knowledge you need to confidently manage any challenge. Each case includes a summary of important points or highlights of the study.
- Case studies are arranged either by complaint or by diagnosis so that you can successfully manage your patients with or without an initial diagnosis.
- Comprehensive coverage of EMGs and nerve conduction studies and other diagnostic tests, including muscle and nerve biopsies and genetic testing, helps you accurately diagnose nerve, muscle, and neuromuscular transmission disorders.
- Detailed discussions of treatment plans and commonly used drugs enhance your management of autoimmune disorders, painful neuropathy, dysautonomia, and other neuromuscular disorders.
- A reader-friendly format takes you step by step through the diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular disorders, from the basic anatomy and physiology of the nerve and muscle through to clinical evaluation, diagnostic testing, and therapy.
- More than 350 high-quality illustrations, including full-color patient photographs, biopsies, and EMG tracings, make complex concepts easier to understand and apply.
Chapter 1 Neuromuscular Anatomy and Function
Chapter 2 Neurological Evaluation and Ancillary Tests
Chapter 3 Therapy in Neuromuscular Diseases
Case 1 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in an Elderly Woman Likely from Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Use of a Walker
Case 2 A Uremic Patient with a Shunt-Related Ischemic Monomelic Neuropathy Later Diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from Beta-2 Microglobulin Accumulation
Case 3 A Diabetic with Peripheral Neuropathy and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Who Later Developed Dysautonomia
Case 4 Martin Gruber and Anastomosis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Case 5 Traumatic Median Neuropathy at the Elbow Mimicking Anterior Interossei Syndrome
Case 6 Pronator Teres Syndrome
Case 7 Ulnar Entrapment at the Elbow
Case 8 Ulnar Neuropathy at the Wrist from a Ganglion Cyst
Case 9 Focal Myositis Causing Radial Neuropathy
Case 10 Musculoskeletal Neuropathy from Compression During Positioning for Back Surgery
Case 11 Acute Brachial Neuritis
Case 12 Lower Trunk Plexopathy and Horner’s Syndrome from Lymphoma
Case 13 Radiation Plexopathy
Case 14 Suprascapular Neuropathy
Case 15 C6 Radiculopathy with Motor Deficits from Herpes Zoster
Case 16 C5 Radiculopathy from a Ruptured Disc
Case 17 C7 Radiculopathy from a Herniated Disc
Case 18 L4 Radiculopathy from a Disc Herniation and Peroneal Entrapment
Case 19 S1 Radiculopathy
Case 20 L5 Radiculopathy and an Accessory Peroneal Nerve
Case 21 L2 Radiculopathy from Tumor Invasion
Case 22 Demylinating Lumbosacral Radiculoneuropathy in a Diabetic
Case 23 Cauda Equina Syndrome from Spinal Stenosis
Case 24 Sciatic Neurofibroma Mimicking Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome
Case 25 Femoral Neuropathy from a Hematoma from Angiography
Case 26 Carcinomatous Lumbosacral Plexopathy
Case 27 Meralgia Paresthetica
Case 28 Lumbosacral Ependymoma Mimicking a Motor Neuron Disease
Case 29 Acute Facial Neuropathy
Case 30 Neurosarcoidos
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2008
- 6th May 2008
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: