- An easy-to-follow writing style makes it easy to understand both simple and complex topics.
- A well-rounded, collaborative approach provides coverage of all major psychiatric disorders from nursing and medical perspectives.
- The Stuart Stress Adaptation Model of health and wellness provides a consistent nursing-oriented framework, with clear explanations of biological, psychological, sociocultural, environmental, and legal-ethical components.
- An evidence-based practice approach bridges the gap between clinical research and everyday practice.
- Learning from a Clinical Case boxes begin disorders chapters with thought-provoking questions and end chapters with answers and feedback.
- Summarizing the Evidence boxes in the disorders chapters examine the research and findings that support psychiatric nursing care.
- A family focus and discussions of outpatient care reflect current trends in psychiatric nursing.
- A Patient Speaks and A Family Speaks boxes present short vignettes with the patient’s and family’s perspectives of the caregiving process.
- Competent Caring: A Clinical Exemplar of a Psychiatric Nurse boxes feature the experiences and personal insights of practicing psychiatric nurses.
- Medical and Nursing Diagnoses boxes and Detailed Diagnoses tables emphasize the interdisciplinary approach to patient care by presenting NANDA diagnoses relevant to specific disorders and describing the essential features of the related DSM-IV-TR diagnoses.
Unit One: Principles of Psychiatric Nursing Care
1. Roles and Functions of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses: Competent Caring
2. Therapeutic Nurse-Patient Relationship
3. The Stuart Stress Adaptation Model of Psychiatric Nursing Care
4. Evidence-Based Psychiatric Nursing Practice
5. Biological Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
6. Psychological Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
7. Social, Cultural, and Spiritual Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
8. Legal and Ethical Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
9. Policy and Advocacy in Mental Health Care
10. Families as Resources, Caregivers, and Collaborators
11. Implementing the Nursing Process: Standards of Practice and Professional Performance
Unit Two: Continuum of Care
12. Prevention and Mental Health Promotion
13. Crisis and Disaster Intervention
14. Recovery Support
Unit Three: Applying Principles in Nursing Practice
15. Anxiety Responses and Anxiety Disorders
16. Psychophysiological Responses and Somatoform and Sleep Disorders
17. Self-Concept Responses and Dissociative Disorders
18. Emotional Responses and Mood Disorders
19. Self-Protective Responses and Suicidal Behavior
20. Neurobiological Responses and Schizophrenia and Psychotic Disorders
21. Social Responses and Personality Disorders
22. Cognitive Responses and Organic Mental Disorders
23. Chemically Mediated Responses and Substance-Related Disorders
24. Eating Regulation Responses and Eating Disorders
25. Sexual Responses and Sexual Disorders
Unit Four: Treatment Modalities
27. Behavior Change and Cognitive Interventions
28. Preventing and Managing Aggressive Behavior
29. Somatic Therapies