Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Modest Technologies for a Complicated World focuses on intermediate or alternative technologies capable of making our complex society more rational, simpler, and more modest through the attainment of equilibrium in the socio-political situation and also in the demographic, energy, agricultural, soil preservation, exploitation of resources, and recycling processes. This book outlines the conditions that must be satisfied and the precautions that have to be taken in order to implement modest technological innovations in the third world—as well as in the first or the second—on the basis of concrete and pragmatic evaluations. This volume is comprised of 14 chapters and begins with a historical overview of modest technology and how it can address global problems such as food shortage and malnutrition. The role of modest technologies as instruments of international aid and in promoting a possible New International Economic Order is then discussed. The following chapters consider the debate concerning the neutrality of science and technology; lack of innovation as a cause of economic crisis; and arguments about the theory and practice of international activities of technological cooperation and assistance. Strategies for the introduction of modest technologies are also proposed. This book will be of interest to sociologists, economists, and decision makers.
1. Modest Technology
2. In Our Heads We Have More than Just Our Mouths
3. International Aid and a Possible New International Economic Order
4. Small May be Beautiful — Does it Always Make Sense?
5. The Debatable Neutrality of Science and Technology
6. Lack of Innovation as a Cause of Economic Crisis
7. How to be Energetically Modest
8. Reasonable Arguments and Lists Reasoned Out
9. When Cynics Don't Even Know Prices
10. The Costs of Risks
11. It's All a Question of Organization
12. Strategies for the Introduction of Modest Technologies
13. Is There an Investment Crisis?
14. Decisions for Societal Systems Based on Modern Techniques
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 1980
- 1st January 1980
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.