Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Microbial Ecology of Wastewater Treatment Plants presents different methods and techniques used in microbial ecology to study the interactions and evolution of microbial populations in WWTPs, particularly the new molecular tools developed in the last decades. These molecular biology-based methods (e.g. studies of DNA, RNA and proteins) provide a high resolution of information compared to traditional ways of studying microbial wastewater populations, such as microscopic examination and culture-based methods. In addition, this book addresses the ability of microorganisms to degrade environmental pollutants.
- Describes application of different Omics tools in Wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs)
- Demonstrates the role of microorganisms in WWTPs
- Includes discussions on the microbial ecology of WWTPs
- Covers the microbial diversity of activated sludge
- Emphasizes cutting-edge molecular tools
Engineers, scientists who require an excellent introduction and basic knowledge to the principles of waste water treatment technologies. Different professionals, managers working or interested in the Water treatment microbiology field
- Structure and function of microbial communities
2. Microbial community genetics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics
3. Microbial interaction
4. Microbial communication
5. Microbial ecology
6. Microbial population biology
7. Biogeochemical processes (C, N, P, S-cycles)
8. Microbial life in extreme environments
9. Evolutionary processes of microbial communities
10. Biofilm formation and surface microbes
11. Metabolic flux analysis and stable isotope probing (DNA, RNA and protein)
12. Microbiome biology of environmental habitats
13. Microbial treatment
14. Microbial pollution: pathogenic microorganisms in the environment (water/soil/air/food); microbial metabolism and environmental pollution (e.g., microbial toxin)
15. Microbiological monitoring: testing methods and monitoring techniques development
16. Microbial Degradation of Xenobiotics
17. Microbiological Wastewater Treatment
18. Genetics and Physiology of Anaerobic Hydrocarbon-Degrading Microorganisms
19. Bioremediation - The Natural Solution
20. Molecular Ecology and Genetic Diversity of Marine Microorganisms
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 15th May 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Maulin P. Shah, Senior Environmental Microbiogist, Applied & Environmental Microbiology Lab, Gujarat, India. His major work involves isolation, screening, identification and Genetic Engineering of high impact of Microbes for the degradation of hazardous materials. He has more than 250 research publication in highly reputed national and international journals. He has edited 17 books with Elsevier in the Chemical Engineering portfolio.
Senior Environmental Microbiologist, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Bharuch, India
Susana Rodríguez-Couto (female) got her B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Chemistry (Industrial Chemistry) from the University of Santiago de Compostela in 1992 and her Ph.D. in Chemistry in 1999 from the University of Vigo, obtaining the maximal grade (magna cum laude) and, in addition, she was awarded with the Extraordinary Prize for Doctoral Thesis in Chemistry. She worked as an Associate Professor and an Isidro Parga Pondal Senior Researcher at the University of Vigo (2000-2004), as a Ramón y Cajal Senior Researcher at Rovira i Virgili University (2004-2008) and as an Ikerbasque Research Professor (2009-2019). She has also worked as an Invited Researcher at the Institute from Environmental Biotechnology, Graz University of Technology (Austria) and at the Department of Biological Engineering, University of Minho (Portugal). In 2008, she received the I3 Professor from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Education to the recognition of an outstanding research activity. In March 2021 she is joining LUT School of Engineering Science at Mikkeli, Finland, as a Full Professor in biological water treatment. She has published more than 140 articles in highly reputed international journals (h index 42). She is editor of several journals (3Biotech, Frontiers) and 14 Elsevier books.
Full Professor (Biological Water Treatment), Department of Separation Science, LUT School of Engineering Science, LUT University, FINLAND
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.