Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
2. Overview of metals and biomedical applications
2. Selection of metals for biomedical devices
3. Physical and mechanical properties of metallic biomaterials
4. Corrosion of metallic biomaterials
5. Fatigue failure of metallic biomaterials
6. Mechanical testing of metallic biomaterials
7. Tribology and tribocorrosion testing and analysis of metallic biomaterials
8. Biocompatibility and fabrication of in situ bioceramic coating
9. Biodegradable magnesium alloys
10. Forging of metals and alloys for biomedical applications
12. Additive manufacturing (AM)
13. Surface treatment
14. Coatings for metallic biomaterials
15. Bioinspired functionalization of metal surfaces with polymers
16. Sterilisation and cleaning of metallic biomaterials
17. Orthopaedic applications of metallic biomaterials
18. Advances in clinical applications of metal biomaterials for spinal reconstruction
19. New generation metallic biomaterials
20. Absorbable metals for cardiovascular applications
Metals for Biomedical Devices, Second Edition, has been fully updated and builds upon the success of its first edition, discussing the latest techniques in metal processing methods and the behavior of this important material. Initial chapters review the current status and selection of metals for biomedical devices. Subsequent chapters cover mechanical behavior, degradation and testing, corrosion, wear testing and biocompatibility, the processing of metals for biomedical applications, including topics such as forging metals and alloys, surface treatment, coatings and sterilization. Chapters in the final section discuss the clinical applications of metals, such as cardiovascular, orthopedic and new generation biomaterials.
With its distinguished editor and team of expert contributors, this book is a standard reference for materials scientists, researchers and engineers working in the medical devices industry and academia.
- Reviews the latest techniques in metal processing methods, including surface treatment and sterilization
- Examines metal selection for biomedical devices, considering the biocompatibility of various metals
- Assesses mechanical behavior and the testing of metals, featuring the latest information on corrosion, fatigue and wear
- Discusses biodegradable alloys, including a new section on Mg alloys
- Includes a new section that discusses the use of additive manufacturing in the production of medical devices
Researchers and engineers in the field of advanced materials and medical and dental engineering; undergraduate and graduate students
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2019
- 17th May 2019
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr Mitsuo Niinomi received his PhD from Nagoya University in 1980. From 1980 to 2005, he was a research associate, Associate Professor, and Professor at Toyohashi University of Technology. In 2005, he moved to the Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University as a Professor. In 2009 he then went on to serve as Director of the Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University. In addition, he has been named an Honorary Professor at Tianjin University (China), Specially Appointed Professor at Osaka University and Meijo University, and Visiting Professor at Nagoya University since 2016. Since 2018 Dr. Niinomi has been an Honorary Professor at North Easter University (China). Dr. Niinomi is currently Professor Emeritus of Tohoku University and runs the Niinomi research group, which specializes in metallic biomaterials.
Professor Emeritus of Tohoku University. Niinomi Research Group
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.