1. Decimals: Relative Value, Addition, and Subtraction
2. Decimals: Multiplication and Division
3. Fractions: Reduction and Equations
Section II: Systems of Measurement
4. Units of Measure
Section III: Calculations for the Clinical Setting
7. Ratio and Proportion
8. Body Weight
Section IV: Reading Medication Labels and Using Syringes
9. Using Syringes
10. Oral Medications
11. Parenteral Medications
12. Reconstituting Medications
Section V: Methods of Administering Medications
13. Unit Dose, Card System, and Computerized Medication System
14. Medication Records
Section VI: Intravenous Fluid Calculations
15. Introduction to Intravenous Therapy
Section VII: Unique Calculations
16. Calculating Intravenous Heparin Dosages
18. Calculating Sliding Scale Insulin Dosage
19. Intake and Output
Section VIII: Calculations in Special Care Units
22. Intensive Care Unit
Covering the ratio and proportion and formula methods, this comprehensive textbook presents a straightforward, real-world approach to the mathematical calculations used in the clinical setting. It features a unique, step-by-step process that teaches you to identify the information needed to perform a calculation, determine if information is missing, set up and perform the calculation, and check the answer to ensure accurracy. This systematic approach is designed to reduce human calculation errors and ensure patient safety. Common medications and methods of administration are used throughout the textbook, with more than 1,200 practice problems to help you master the math needed for clinical practice.
- All content, examples, problems, and scenarios are clinically based and completely up to date.
- More than 500 full-color illustrations show drug labels, parenteral and oral syringes, medicine cups, pumps, IV equipment, and more that are used in current clinical practice.
- Promotes learning with more than 1,200 practice problems and comprehensive math review problems.
- Safety Alert, Clinical Alert, and Human Error Alert boxes are incorporated throughout to promote safe practice.
- Clinical Connections begin each chapter and explain how that topic relates to clinical practice.
- Examples for each new topic are presented in a unique, step-by-step format: the prescription, what you HAVE, what you KNOW, what you WANT, critical thinking, answer for best care, human error check boxes, and does your answer fit the general guideline? Practice problems follow each set of examples to reinforce your understanding.
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 15th February 2010
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
President, Professional Learning Systems, Inc., Marietta, GA
Professor, Department of Physiological and Technological Nursing, School of Nursing, Georgia Health Sciences University, Augusta, GA
Saints Mary and Martha Orthodox Monastery, Wagener, SC