- Chronological organization of content follows a sequence from family issues, fetal development, pregnancy, labor, birth, and care of the newborn, to postpartum issues with special social, familial, and cultural considerations.
- Organization of concepts in each chapter by simple to complex and from health to illness makes it easier to locate and understand the material.
- Complete, concise coverage includes a table of physiologic and psychosocial changes throughout the pregnancy, unique content on CPR for the pregnant patient and infectious diseases acquired during pregnancy, a pictorial story of a vaginal birth, cultural considerations of pregnancy and maternal care, and nursing responses to loss, death, and grief.
- UNIQUE! A FREE Study Guide in the back of the book reinforces understanding with multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, scenario-based clinical situation questions, and online activities.
- Nursing Care Plans with critical thinking questions help in understanding how a care plan is developed, how to evaluate care of a patient, and how to apply your knowledge to clinical scenarios.
- Health Promotion boxes and content focus on family-centered care, health promotion, illness prevention, and women's health issues.
- Clinical Pathways use an interdisciplinary, collaborative-care approach in tracking interventions along a timeline from assessment to discharge and follow up.
- Online resources for further research and study are included at the end of each chapter.
- UNIQUE! LPN Threads
Unit One: Social and Family Dynamics
1. Contemporary Maternity Care, Family, and Cultural Considerations
2. Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
Unit Two: Development of the Fetus
3. Fetal Development
Unit Three: Pregnancy
4. Physiologic and Psychologic Changes During Pregnancy
5. Health Care and Fetal Assessment During Pregnancy
Unit Four: Labor and Birth
6. Process of Normal Labor
7. Nursing Care During Labor
8 . Management of Pain During Labor
Unit Five: The Newborn
9. Physiologic Adaptation of the Newborn and Nursing Assessment
10. Nursing Care of the Newborn
11. Newborn Feeding
Unit Six: Postpartum Assessment
12. Postpartum Assessment and Nursing Care
Unit Seven: Complications of Childbearing
13. Health Problems Complicating Pregnancy
14. Complications of Labor and Birth
15. The Newborn at Risk: Conditions Associated with Gestational Age and Development
16. The Newborn at Risk: Acquired and Congenital Conditions
17. Postpartum Complications
Unit Eight: Community-Based Care
18. The Pregnant Adolescent and Nursing Care in the Community
Unit Nine: Other Reproductive Issues
19. Family Planning and Infertility
20. Women's Health Issues
21. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Appendix A: The Joint Commission's Lists of Dangerous Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols
Appendix B: Commonly Used Abbreviations in Maternal and Pediatric Nursing
Appendix C: Common Spanish Phrases for Maternity and Pediatric Nursing
Appendix D: Multilingual Glossary of Symptoms
Appendix E: Conversion Tables
Appendix F: Selected Maternal and Newborn Laboratory