Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Management of Coking Coal Resources provides a one-stop reference that focuses on sustainable mining practices using a four-point approach that includes the economical, governmental, societal, and environmental aspects of coal exploration, coking coal mining, and steelmaking applications.
This type of approach galvanizes the excavation, processing methods, and end uses of coal as an energy and steelmaking source, thus ensuring that the supply of coking coal meets the future demands of the rapidly expanding economies in India and other developing countries.
The book provides information on the strategic planning and revitalization of India's Jharia coalfield, addressing actionable plans for methods of extraction, master plans for mine fires, subsidence management, land use planning, and sustainable mining.
Users will find a multidisciplinary reference that presents the broad range of applications, techniques, and methodologies used in maintaining coking coal quality from exploration through extraction.
- Provides a one-stop reference that focuses on sustainable mining practices using a four-point approach
- Includes the economical, governmental, societal, and environmental aspects of coal exploration, coking coal mining, and steelmaking applications
- Presents information on the strategic planning and revitalization of India's Jharia coalfield
- Includes a broad range of the applications, techniques, and methodologies used in maintaining coking coal quality from exploration through extraction
Geoscientists, exploration geologists, mineralogists
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- 1.1. Problems
- 1.2. The Objective of This Book
- 1.3. Supply Chain Management
- 1.4. Resurgence of the Indian Coal Industry
- Chapter 2: Latest Developments in the Iron and Steel Industry
- 2.1. Global Perspective
- 2.2. Indian Steel Industry
- Chapter 3: Evaluation of Coking Coal Resources and Reserves
- 3.1. Definition of Resources and Reserves
- 3.2. International Classification of Coals
- 3.3. Measurement of Coking Propensity
- 3.4. Indian Classification of Coking Coal
- 3.5. Description of Coalfields
- 3.6. Estimation of Minable Reserves
- 3.7. Growth Rate Analysis
- 3.8. Geological Exploration
- Chapter 4: Rational Implementation of Mining Technology
- 4.1. The Journey Through the Digital Age
- 4.2. The ERP System
- 4.3. Total Quality Management (TQM)
- 4.4. Productivity Management
- 4.5. Mining Strategies and Related Issues
- 4.6. Innovation, Globalization, and Local Flexibility
- 4.7. The History of Indian Coal Mining
- 4.8. Extractability
- 4.9. Selective Mining
- 4.10. Special Mining Methods
- 4.11. Highwall Mining
- 4.12. Integrated Coal Preparation Through Deshaling
- 4.13. Implementation of IT in India
- 4.14. Quality Control at Coal Mines
- 4.15. Revitalization of the Jharia Coalfield
- 4.16. Concluding Remarks
- Appendix: Underground Coal Mining – New Dimensions
- Chapter 5: Solutions to Transportation Problems
- 5.1. Preamble
- 5.2. Storage and Handling
- 5.3. Rail Transportation
- 5.4. Pipeline Transport
- 5.5. Potentiality of Pipeline Transport in India
- 5.6. Process Design Considerations for Pipeline Transport
- 5.7. The Suitability of Pipeline Transportation for Coking Coal
- 5.8. Transport of (−6 mm) Coal by Pipeline
- 5.9. The Logistics of Transportation
- 5.10. Discussion
- 5.11. Pipeline Transportation of Different Minerals
- 5.12. Final Comments on Transportation Bottlenecks
- Chapter 6: Societal Responsibility and Economic Viability
- 6.1. The Background to Sustainable Mining
- 6.2. Economic Viability
- Appendix: Guidelines for the Preparation of a Final Mine Closure Plan
- Chapter 7: Conclusions
- 7.1. Characterization of the Coking Coal Sector
- 7.2. Solutions to Special Problems
- 7.3. Captive Coal Mining – Hindsight
- 7.4. Further Development – Issues and Ideas
- 7.5. Framework
- Appendix: Nomenclature
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2016
- 25th August 2015
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Dilip Kumar obtained a Bachelor’s degree in mining engineering from the Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST), Shibpur, India. He also has a Master’s degree in mineral processing from the Université de Mons, Belgium and a Doctoral degree in minerals engineering from the Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria. Dr. Kumar's expertise is in coal prepartion, and he has international professional experience in countries like India, Germany, Algeria, and Canada. He is widely published and has authored a book on the "Management of Coking Coal Resources." Dr. Kumar was also a recipient of the Rajendra Prasad Memorial Prize of Institution of Engineers (India). At present, he is engaged in consultancy and technical writing following his retirement as the Chief Mining Scientist of Central Mine Planning and Design Institute (CMPDI) in Ranchi, India.
Retired Chief Mining Scientist, Central Mine Planning and Design Institute (CMPDI) Ranchi, India
Deepak Kumar holds a Bachelor’s degree in software engineering and an MBA from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. He has worked professionally in North America and Western Europe and specializes in business strategy, business transformation, business process improvement, and project management. Currently, as a Portfolio Manager and a Management Consultant for Central 1 Credit Union, Canada, Deepak is successfully looking after corporate projects and advising the executive leadership team. Previous publications include co-authoring a book titled “Management of Coking Coal Resources." He provides a management perspective to the content of this book.
Business Analyst, Norbord Inc., Canada
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.