- Named a 2011 Best Hacking and Pen Testing Book by InfoSec Reviews
- Introduces the reader briefly to managed code environments and rootkits in general
- Completely details a new type of rootkit hiding in the application level and demonstrates how a hacker can change language runtime implementation
- Focuses on managed code including Java, .NET, Android Dalvik and reviews malware development scanarios
Intermediate to advanced pen testers; hackers; malware researchers; software engineers; OS designers and developers
Table of Contents
About the Author
Part I Overview
Chapter 1 Introduction
The Problem of Rootkits and Other Types of Malware
Why Do You Need This Book?
Terminology Used in This Book
Technology Background: An Overview
Chapter 2 Managed Code Rootkits
What Can Attackers Do with Managed Code Rootkits?
Common Attack Vectors
Why Are Managed Code Rootkits Attractive to Attackers?
Part II Malware Development
Chapter 3 Tools of the Trade
The Role of Debuggers
The Native Compiler
Chapter 4 Runtime Modification
Is It Possible to Change the Definition of a Programming Language?
Walkthrough: Attacking the Runtime Class Libraries
Chapter 5 Manipulating the Runtime
Manipulating the Runtime According to Our Needs
Reshaping the Code
Chapter 6 Extending the Language with a Malware API
Why Should We Extend the Language?
Extending the Runtime with a Malware API
Chapter 7 Automated Framework Modification
What is ReFrameworker?
ReFrameworker Modules Concept
Using the Tool
Developing New Modules
Setting Up the Tool
Chapter 8 Advanced Topics
Covering the Traces as Native Code
Part III Countermeasures
Chapter 9 Defending against MCRs
What Can We Do about This Kind of Threat?
Awareness: Malware Is Everybody’s Problem
The Prevention Approach
The Detection Approach
The Response Approach
Part IV Where Do We Go From Here?
Chapter 10 Other Uses of Runtime Modification
Runtime Modification As an Alternative Problem-Solving Approach
- No. of pages: 336
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Syngress 2010
- Published: October 28, 2010
- Imprint: Syngress
- eBook ISBN: 9781597495752
- Paperback ISBN: 9781597495745
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Managed Code Rootkits"