This classic textbook sets out clearly and concisely how to evaluate symptoms and elicit relevant physical signs. It describes the practical skills which every clinician must acquire and develop in order to evolve diagnostic procedures and management strategies and plans.
- The book starts with a general section on the principles of history taking and the general examination that provides the framework for a patient examination.
- The second system-based examination section documents the relevant history, examination and investigations for all the major body systems.
- A newly arranged third section covers history and examination in specific situations and emphasises an integrated and structured approach to these patients.
- A final section spells out how to put the techniques learned in the book into use both in clinical practice and when preparing for assessment.
- Available with full online access on Student Consult and ancillary videos demonstrating key clinical examination routines following the format laid out in the book.
Section 1: Principles of clinical history and examination
- Managing clinical encounters with patients
- General aspects of history taking
- The value of initial observations
Section 2: System based examination
- The cardiovascular system
- The respiratory system
- The gastrointestinal system
- The nervous system
- The visual system
- The ear, nose & throat
- The endocrine system
- The reproductive system
- The renal system
- The musculoskeletal system
- The skin, hair and nails
Section 3: Applying history and examination skills in specific situations
- Babies and Children
- Patients with mental illness and learning disability
- The frail elderly
- Examining the deteriorating patient
- History and examination towards the end of life
Section 4: Putting History and Examination skills to Use
- Preparing for assessments of clinical skills
- Preparing for practice
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 10th July 1995
- Paperback ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Consultant Physician and Honorary Reader in Respiratory Medicine, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Consultant in Diabetes, Endocrinology and General Medicine, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh; Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, UK
General Practice Principal, Mackenzie Medical Centre, Edinburgh, UK.