Designed for the mixed practice large animal veterinarian, veterinary students, and camelid caretakers alike, Llama and Alpaca Care covers all major body systems, herd health, physical examination, nutrition, reproduction, surgery, anesthesia, and multisystem diseases of llamas and alpacas. Written by world-renowned camelid specialists and experts in the field, this comprehensive and uniquely global text offers quick access to the most current knowledge in this area. With coverage ranging from basic maintenance such as restraint and handling to more complex topics including anesthesia and surgery, this text provides the full range of knowledge required for the management of llamas and alpacas.
"..an essential text for anyone working with South American camelids." Reviewed by Claire E. Whitehead on behalf of Veterinary Record, July 2015
- Over 500 full-color images provide detailed, highly illustrated coverage of all major body systems, physical examination, nutrition, anesthesia, fluid therapy, multisystem diseases, and surgical disorders.
- World-renowned camelid experts and specialists in the field each bring a specific area of expertise for a uniquely global text.
- Comprehensive herd health content includes handling techniques, vaccinations, biosecurity, and protecting the herd from predators.
- Coverage of anesthesia and analgesia includes the latest information on pharmacokinetics of anesthetic drugs, chemical restraint, injectable and inhalation anesthesia, neuroanesthesia, and pain management.
- Reproduction section contains information on breeding management, lactation, infertility, and embryo transfer.
- Nutrition information offers detailed nutritional requirements and discusses feeding management systems and feeding behavior.
2. Protection of Camelids from Predators
3. Camelid Vaccinations
4. Camelid Herd Health and Nutrition
5. Endoparasite Control
6. Anthelmintic Resistance in Camelid Parasites
7. Camelid Management, Handling Techniques and Facilities, and Herd Management
PART TWO: NUTRITION
8. Applied Digestive Anatomy and Feeding Behavior
9. Nutritional Requirements
10. Feeds for Camelids
11. Feeding Management Systems
12. Nutritional Assessment
13. Nutritional Diseases
PART THREE: REPRODUCTION
14. Anatomy and Physiology of Reproduction in the Female Llama and Alpaca
15. Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology in the Male
16. Breeding Management
17. Clinical Examination of the Female Reproductive Function
18. Breeding Soundness Examination of the Llama and Alpaca
19. Infertility and Subfertility in the Male
20. Infertility and Subfertility in the Female
21. Cytogenetics and Infertility
22. Pregnancy Diagnosis and High-Risk Pregnancy Evaluation
23. Disorders and Diseases of Pregnancy
24. Parturition and Obstetrics
25. Lactation and Neonatal Care
26. Postpartum Disorders
27. Artificial Insemination of Llamas and Alpacas
28. Embryo Transfer
29. Embryo Preservation and In Vitro Production of Embryos
PART FOUR: PRINCIPLES OF HEALTH CARE
30. Physical Examination and Conformation
31. Clinical Pathology
32. Fluid Therapy
33. Nutritional Support
34. Drug Therapy in Llamas and Alpacas
PART FIVE: MEDICAL DISORDERS
35. Disorders of the Skin
36. Diseases of the Cardiovascular and Hemolymphatic Systems
37. Diseases of the Respiratory Tract
38. Disorders of the Neurologi