Dozens of step-by-step strategies help you improve your skills in areas such as reading comprehension, writing, math, and studying. With this book, you'll build your vocabulary, understand basic mathematics and solve word problems, take effective notes, manage study time, and raise your test scores. You'll also learn to organize your ideas so you can write more clearly and effectively for school and work-related reports.
- Fifteen reading selections taken from health care textbooks let you practice the strategies you've learned.
- A variety of exercises offer practice with the same kinds of assignments you'll encounter at school.
- An answer key allows you to check your work.
- A vocabulary chapter introduces the medical and non-medical terms you need to know.
- A glossary offers rapid, at-a-glance access to important terms.
UNIT I Reading Strategies
1. Identifying the Three Levels of Understanding
2. Recognizing Details
3. Developing Vocabulary
4. Monitoring and Improving Comprehension
5. Reading the Textbook
UNIT II Writing Strategies
6. Organizing Ideas
7. Writing the First Draft
8. Rewriting the Final Draft
UNIT III Mathematics Strategies
9. Learning Computation Skills
10. Understanding Algebra, Geometry, and the Metric System
11. Solving Word Problems
UNIT IV Study Strategies
12. Managing Time
13. Learning Active Listening Skills
14. Taking Notes
15. Improving Test Scores
UNIT V Reading Selections
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2007
- 7th March 2007
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Learning Specialist, Private Practice, Westchester, NY
Hunter College, New York, NY