Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Introductory Microbiology Lab Skills and Techniques in Food Science covers topics on isolation, identification, numeration and observation of microorganisms, biochemistry tests, general molecular tests, case studies, clinical lab tasks, and basic applied microbiology. The book is written technically with figures and photos showing failed results and common mistakes generating the failed results. This a resource that is skills based focusing on lab technique training. It is introductory in nature, but encourages critical thinking based on real case studies of what happens in labs every day and includes self-evaluation learning objectives after each lab section. This is an excellent guide for anyone who need to understand how to apply microbiology to the lab in a practical setting.
- Presents step-by-step lab procedures with photos in lab setting
- Includes case studies of microorganism causing infectious disease
- Provides clinical microbial lab tasks to mimic real-life situations applicable to industry
Anyone in industry and academia needing a basic understanding or refresher of microbial techniques in the lab. A supplement material for food microbiology lab and other microbial lab courses
1. Introduction of microbial and chemical safety and lab notebook record
2. Practice of Bright-field Microscopy
3. Preparation of Smears and Simple Stain Practice
4. Gram Stain Practice
5. Acid-Fast Stain Practice
6. Endospore Stain Practice
7. Aseptic Technique-Bacteria Transfer and Streak Plating
8. Lab Practice Test 1-Identify unknown bacteria using Gram stain
9. Introduction of bacteria medium, Nutritional Requirements (Synthetic and Complex Media) Selective and Differential Media (McConkey, Manitol Salt, Blood agar)
10. Lab Practice Test 2-Dilution technology and quiz
11. Numeration bacteria population by pour-plating
12. Numeration bacteria population by spread-plating
13. External Conditions for bacterial growth (Temperature, pH, oxygen, osmatic)
14. Cultivation of anaerobic bacteria
15. Biochemistry test of bacteria-1 (Urease Test, Carbohydrate Fermentation, catalase test, oxidase test)
16. Biochemistry test of bacteria-2 (Nitrate Reduction, Decarboxylation and Deamination of Amino Acids, IMViC Test, Hydrogen Sulfide, Motility and Indole Test)
17. Biochemistry test of bacteria-3 (API20e and enterotube II)
18. Extracellular Enzymatic Activities of Microorganisms
19. Clinical lab practice 1-throat culture isolation and identification
20. Case study 1 (Bacteria cause upper respiratory tract diseases)
21. Clinical lab practice 2-Urine sample bacteria isolation and numeration
22. Case study 2 (Bacteria cause intestinal tract and urine tract diseases)
23. Isolation of phage and PFU determination
24. Antibiotic Sensitivity Testing and Evaluation of Antiseptics/Disinfectants
25. Microbial Counts of Food Product
26. Total Plate Count & Coliform Count of Pond Water
27. DNA isolation and purity identification
28. Practice of Multiplex PCR to identify bacteria
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st September 2021
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Cangliang Shen, Food Microbiologist and Assistant Professor/Extension Specialist, Ph.D., Division of Animal and Nutritional Sciences, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources & Design. Dr. Shen has received several awards including the most recent Outstanding Award of Food Microbiology Division, Institute of Food Technologists 2018. He is the chair, of Food Microbiology for IFT and has received 12 funded research grants in food safety. He is the co-author of the book, Food Microbiology Laboratory for the Food Science Student: A Practical Approach, published by Springer in 2017 and has published ~31 journal articles.
Food Microbiologist and Assistant Professor/Extension Specialist, Division of Animal and Nutritional Sciences, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design, Morgantown, USA
Dr. Yifan Zhang, Associate Professor, Wayne State University with 19 years of research and teaching experience. Dr. Zhang is on the editorial board of two journals (Frontiers in Microbiology and Journal of Food Protection for IAFP). He’s had several awards including the American Society of Microbiology International Professorship Award and University Research Award. He’s the co-author of Food Microbiology Laboratory for the Food Science Student: A Practical Approach, published by Springer in 2017 and has published ~30 journal articles.
Associate Professor, Wayne State University Detroit, MI, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.