Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Introduction to US Cybersecurity Careers is a concise introduction to the world of cybersecurity and the career opportunities therein. This book provides a basic rundown of industry sectors, roles, and places to search for job opportunities within the US cybersecurity industry. Within this book is vital information for anyone trying to get into the industry - basic knowledge for those looking to start training for a career, tips on networking and resume-building in a fast-evolving and nontraditional sector, and advice on how to get your foot in the door and become recognized in your field.
This book is designed to help those who are just starting out in cybersecurity and those who have training and knowledge and want to get into the industry. Introduction to US Cybersecurity Careers is your first-stop reference for everything you need to know to start your journey.
- Learn the basics of the digital security industry
- Get tips on creating an effective resume and making contacts within the industry
- Figure out the best certifications to pursue and what qualifications will get you your ideal career
Any student or professional looking to enter into cybersecurity, IT security, or digital security professions
- Author Biography
- Chapter 1: US Cybersecurity Jobs
- 1.1. US cybersecurity job titles
- 1.2. General “hacker” classifications
- 1.3. The concept of “being bad to be good”
- 1.4. Key penetration tester “knowledge, skills, and abilities” (KSA’s)
- Chapter 2: The US Cybersecurity Industry
- 2.1. Current and expected growth of the cybersecurity industry
- 2.2. Employment opportunities
- 2.3. 2015 salary guide for cybersecurity professionals
- 2.4. Entry-level positions
- Chapter 3: 17 Tips on How to Land Your First Cybersecurity Job
- 3.1. Tip 1: develop the right attitude
- 3.2. Tip 2: curiosity is key
- 3.3. Tip 3: develop technical prowess
- 3.4. Tip 4: get involved in your local community
- 3.5. Tip 5: take part in competitions
- 3.6. Tip 6: join newsletters and read blogs
- 3.7. Tip 7: master popular hacking tools
- 3.8. Tip 8: become a Kali Linux power user
- 3.9. Tip 9: create a home lab
- 3.10. Tip 10: become a code monkey
- 3.11. Tip 11: find bugs!
- 3.12. Tip 12: participate in open-source projects
- 3.13. Tip 13: brush up on your written skills
- 3.14. Tip 14: attend cybersecurity conferences and volunteer
- 3.15. Tip 15: learn Linux!
- 3.16. Tip 16: get work experience
- 3.17. Tip 17: government sponsored initiatives
- Chapter 4: Networking Advice for Cybersecurity Job Seekers
- 4.1. Using LinkedIn to secure a cybersecurity job
- 4.2. How to identify influencers
- 4.3. What not to do on LinkedIn
- 4.4. Using Twitter to secure a cybersecurity job
- Chapter 5: How to Create a Cybersecurity Resume
- 5.1. Resume advice
- 5.2. Cybersecurity resume
- Chapter 6: Cybersecurity Job Resources
- 6.1. Should you do an unpaid internship?
- 6.2. US federal internships and graduate opportunities
- 6.3. The Federal Hiring Process
- 6.4. US private sector internships and graduate opportunities
- 6.5. US recruitment organizations
- Chapter 7: Interview Hacks and Tips
- 7.1. Pitch yourself like a cyber pro by asking these questions
- 7.2. Have anecdotes ready
- 7.3. Be awesome to the receptionist!
- 7.4. Organize informational interviews
- Chapter 8: Suggested Beginner and Intermediate Cybersecurity Training and Certifications
- 8.1. Recognized professional cybersecurity certifications
- 8.2. Best schools for cybersecurity
- 8.3. Scholarship opportunities
- Chapter 9: Summary
- 9.1. Wrap up and summary
- No. of pages:
- © Syngress 2014
- 5th December 2014
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Henry Dalziel is a serial education entrepreneur, founder of Concise Ac Ltd, online cybersecurity blogger and e-book author. He writes for the Concise-Courses.com blog and has developed numerous cybersecurity continuing education courses and books. Concise Ac Ltd develops and distributes continuing education content [books and courses] for cybersecurity professionals seeking skill enhancement and career advancement. The company was recently accepted onto the UK Trade & Investment's (UKTI) Global Entrepreneur Programme (GEP).
Founder, Concise Ac Ltd, UK
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.