Introduction to Mineralogy and Petrology presents the essentials of both disciplines through an approach accessible to industry professionals, academic researchers, and students.
Mineralogy and petrology stand as the backbone of the geosciences. Detailed knowledge of minerals and rocks and the process of formation and association are essential for practicing professionals and advanced students. This book is designed as an accessible, step-by-step guide to exploring, retaining, and implementing the core concepts of mineral and hydrocarbon exploration, mining, and extraction. Each topic is fully supported by working examples, diagrams and full-color images. The inclusion of petroleum, gas, metallic deposits and economic aspects enhance the book’s value as a practical reference for mineralogy and petrology.
Authored by two of the world’s premier experts, this book is a must for any young professional, researcher, or student looking for a thorough and inclusive guide to mineralogy and petrology in a single source.
- Authored by two of the world’s experts in mineralogy and petrology, who have more than 70 years of experience in research and instruction combined
- Addresses the full scope of the core concepts of mineralogy and petrology, including crystal structure, formation and grouping of minerals and soils, definition, origin, structure and classification of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks
- Features more than 150 figures, illustrations, and color photographs to vividly explore the fundamental principles of mineralogy and petrology
- Offers a holistic approach to both subjects, beginning with the formation of geologic structures followed by the hosting of mineral deposits and concluding with the exploration and extraction of lucrative, usable products to improve the health of global economies
The book is primarily aimed at economic geologists, mineralogists, petrologists, professional researchers, and government and private institution professionals.
A secondary audience includes instructors and students taking coursework in Pure and Applied Geology, Geography, Mining, Petroleum Engineering, Soil Geochemistry and Mineralogy and Petrology.
List of Acronyms used in this Book
About the Author
Chapter 1. Rocks and Minerals
1.2 Importance of Minerals and Rocks to Society
1.5 Mineral Resources
Chapter 2. Basic Mineralogy
2.2 Internal Structure of Crystals and Their Properties
2.3 Chemical and Physical Properties of Minerals
2.4 Polymorphism and Isomorphism
2.5 Overview of the Main Rock Forming Minerals
Chapter 3. Basic Petrology
3.2 Structure of the Earth
3.3 Classification of Rocks
3.4 Origin of Earth and Theory of Plate Tectonics
Chapter 4. Igneous Rocks
4.1 Origin of Igneous Rocks
4.2 Classification of Igneous Rocks
4.3 Main Group of Igneous Rocks and Their Composition
Chapter 5. Sedimentary Rocks
5.1 Function, Significance, Classification and Transformation
5.2 Sedimentary Rock Formation
5.3 Texture and Structure of Sedimentary Rocks
5.4 Classification of Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks
5.5 Clastic Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks
5.6 Volcaniclastic Rock
5.7 Chemical and Biochemical Sedimentary Rocks
Chapter 6. Metamorphic Rocks
6.1 Origin and Structure of Metamorphic Rocks
6.2 Types of Metamorphism and Classification of Metamorphic Rocks
6.3 Rocks of Dynamic Metamorphism
6.4 Rocks of Contact Metamorphism
6.5 Rocks of Regional Metamorphism
6.6 Rocks of Plutonic Metamorphism
Chapter 7. P
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2014
- 20th November 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
1. Academic qualification: B. Sc (Hons) 1963, and M. Sc (Geology) 1965, Calcutta University, D. Sc, 1983, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
2. Professional Affiliation: Life Member of Mining Geological and Metallurgical Institute of India, Indian Geological Congress and Indian Society of Earth Sciences.
3. Work Experiences: 50 Yrs Professional and Academic Experience in oil and base-noble metal exploration and mining at various capacities at ESSO, Hindustan Copper Ltd, Hindustan Zinc Ltd, Anglo American (P) Ltd, Gold Stream Mining NL/ IMX Resource Ltd, Australia and BIL Infratech Ltd, Guest Faculty Sukhadia University Udaipur.
4. Exploration Projects and Mines visited abroad:
His profession has often required visits and interaction with experts of zinc, lead, gold, tin, chromium, nickel and platinum mines and exploration camps of Australia-Tasmania, Canada, USA, Germany, Portugal, UK, France, Italy, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bangladesh and Nepal.
5. Research Projects as Principal Investigator
(i) DST project in Geostatistical Applications, numerical processing, software development and derivation of parameters for mine planning of base metal deposits at IIT Kharagpur (1979-80) leading to PhD Degree (1983).
(ii) DST project: HR/UR/22/2002 on “Exploration modeling for base / noble metals with special reference to sediment hosted Zn-Pb-Cu-Ag deposits in the northwestern Indian Shield” at Presidency College Kolkata (2003-06).
(iii) DST Project: HR/UR/29/2007 on “Geology of Platinum-Nickel-Chromium mineralization: Resource evaluation and future potential”, at Presidency College, Kolkata (2008-2010).
6. Examination conducted:
(i) Regular question papers for Mineral Exploration, Geo-statistics and Mining Geology for M. Sc Applies Geology of Sukharia University, Udaipur, Presidency University, Calcutta University, Indian School of Mines and Institution of Engineers.
Emeritus Scientist, Department of Applied Geology and Environmental System Management, Presidency College, Kolkata, India, and Exploration Consultant, Hindustan Zinc Limited, Hindustan Copper Limited, and ESSO Standard Eastern Inc.