Industrial Process Scale-up: A Practical Innovation Guide from Idea to Commercial Implementation, Second Edition helps industrial process innovators in research, development and commercial start-ups assess the risks of commercial-scale implementation, also providing them with practical guidelines and methods to reduce the risks to acceptable levels. In addition, the book can be used in cooperation with industrial R&D people and academic researchers to shape open innovation programs, and in education as a reference book. This updated edition has the latest literature and has been expanded with a scale-up of pharmaceutical processes and their history in both academia and the process industries.
- Offers easily accessible, step-by-step and concise guidelines for industrial process scale-up
- Explains each stage of the innovation funnel, from research, development, demonstration and commercial implementation for any process type and branch
- Based on industrial experiences and practices that reduce the risks of commercial scale implementation of new processes to acceptable levels and reduce cost and time of process innovation
Engineering students, researchers in chemical engineering, process developers, process designers, and R&D managers in process industries for Oil and Gas, Bulk/Fine Chemicals, Biotechnology, Biomass conversion, Ore processing, Metals, Food and Pharmaceuticals
1. Introduction, Process Industries Characteristics
2. History of Scale-up theory and industrial practices
3. Process scale-up: Concept stage, feasibility stage, Development stage, Demonstration stage, Start-up methods
4. Pharmaceuticals Process Scale-up
5. Unit operations scale-up
6. Industrial scale-up approach Amine CO2 absorption
7. Industrial scale-up cases and learning points
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 30th May 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
Jan Harmsen is currently the Director of Harmsen Consultancy B.V., Leonardo da Vinci Chair Sustainable Chemical Technology at the University of Groningen, and Chairman of the Dutch Process Technology Association (NPT). From 1996 to 2010 he was the Principal Process Developer, Shell Technology Center Amsterdam. Recently he pubished the books:
Jan Harmsen, Industrial Process Scale-up: A practical innovation guide from idea to commercial implementation, Elsevier, (2013), ISBN 9780444627261.
Gerald Jonker and Jan Harmsen, Engineering for Sustainability. A practical guide for sustainable design, Elsevier, (2012), ISBN 9780444538468.
Harmsen Consultancy B.V., The Netherlands