- Reviews the range of research into consumer attitudes towards seafood
- Discusses key issues in improving the safety, nutritional and sensory quality of seafood products
- Examines the range of technologies available to improve the quality and ensure animal welfare
Table of Contents
- Part 1 Consumers and seafood: Introduction to Part 1, Consumers and seafood; Consumer attitudes and seafood consumption in Europe; Improved eating quality of seafood: The link between sensory characteristics, consumer liking and attitudes; Evaluating consumer information needs in the purchase of seafood products; Consumer evaluation of tailor-made seafood products. Part 2 Health benefits of seafood: Introduction to Part 2, Health benefits of seafood; Protective effects of fish consumption in relation to gastrointestinal health; Fish consumption and the health of children and young adults; Fish, omega-3 fatty acids and heart disease. Part 3 Ensuring seafood safety: Introduction to Part 3, Ensuring seafood safety; Detecting virus contamination in seafood; Reducing microbial risk associated with shellfish in European countries; Bacterial pathogens in seafood; Histamine and biogenic amines: Formation and importance in seafood. Part 4 Processing technologies to improve seafood product quality: Introduction to Part 4, Seafood from source to consumer product; Developing functional seafood products; Mild processing techniques and development of functional marine protein and peptide ingredients; Hurdle technology to ensure the safety of seafood products; Preventing lipid oxidation in seafood. Part 5 Seafood from aquaculture: Introduction to Part 5, Seafood from aquaculture – added value possibilities and potential impacts; The biological basis of variability in the texture of fish flesh; Fish welfare and ethical qualities in aquaculture. Part 6 Seafood traceability to regain consumer confidence: Introduction to Part 6, Traceability in a changing world; Improving traceability in seafood production; Validation of traceability in the seafood production chain.
- No. of pages: 612
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Woodhead Publishing 2008
- Published: May 9, 2008
- Imprint: Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN: 9781845694586
About the Editor
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Improving Seafood Products for the Consumer"