Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Hydropower provides a complete discussion of the most up-to-date considerations of this method of creating renewable energy. After introducing the method’s history, the author explores various considerations for engineers, planners and managers who need to determine the best placement and size of a plant. The book then presents various types of hydropower systems, such as Run-of-River Schemes and various types of Dam and Turbines, also considering the important economic, environmental and geological impacts of each. Those involved in the planning, design and management of hydropower systems, such as engineers, researchers, managers and policymakers will find this book a very valuable and insightful resource.
- Explores different types of dams and turbines set alongside easy-to-understand diagrams, such as Embankment Dams, Concrete Arch Dams, Reaction Turbines and Francis Turbines
- Considers various economic and environmental factors significant for this type of project, such as resettlement, biodiversity and greenhouse gases
- Discusses best practices for locating a hydropower site and how to make important decisions regarding placement and method
Power generation planners, electrical engineers, students and lecturers of Electrical Engineering and Energy: researchers, academics and the technical community involved in the development and implementation of power generation technologies, and power related engineering disciplines
- Hydropower Resource
2. Hydropower Sites
3. Categories of hydropower Plant
4. Large Hydropower Plants: Dams and Barrages
Dam and Reservoir Projects
5. Dam types
Concrete Gravity Dam
Concrete Arch Dam
6. Hydropower Turbines
7. Reaction Turbines
8. Francis turbine
9. Propeller and Kaplan Turbines
10. Deriaz Turbine
12. Small Hydropower
13. Environmental Considerations
14. Environmental Assessment
Sedimentation and Downstream, Effects
15. Hydropower and Intermittent renewable Generation
16. Cost of Electricity Generation from Hydropower Plants
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2018
- 26th March 2018
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Paul Breeze is a journalist and freelance science and technology writer and consultant in the United Kingdom. He has specialised in power generation technology for the past 30 years. In addition to writing Power Generation Technologies, Second Edition, he has contributed to journals and newspapers such as The Financial Times and The Economist and has written a range of technical management reports covering all the aspects of power generation, transmission and distribution.
Freelance Science and Technology Writer/Consultant, UK
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.