Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Human Milk Biochemistry and Infant Formula Manufacturing Technology, Second Edition covers the history of bottle feeding, its advantages and disadvantages when compared with breast-feeding, human milk biochemistry, trends and new developments in infant formula formulation and manufacturing, and best practices in infant formula processing technology and quality control. The book also covers human milk proteomics as a new, separate chapter and provides additional information on infant formula clinical trial guidelines. In addition, the book includes information about the formulation and processing of premature and low birth weight infant formula.
This book is sure to be a welcome resource for professionals in the food and infant formula industry, academics and graduate students in fields like nutrition, food sciences, or nursing, nutritionists and health professionals, government officials working in relevant departments, and finally, anyone interested in human milk and infant formula.
- Reviews both human milk biochemistry and infant formula processing technology for broad coverage
- Features a comprehensive review on the human milk protein profile using proteomics technology
- Contains information on infant formula processing technology
- Provides guidelines on infant formula clinical trials and related topics
Professionals in food and infant formula industry; academics and graduate students who are studying nutrition and food science, nursing, or are interested in human milk and infant formula; nutritionists and health professionals; R&D directors and managers in the food/infant formula industry, related government officials
1. Introduction: Trends and issues in breastfeeding and the use of infant formula
2. Chemical composition of human milk
3. Bioactive components in human milk
4. Human milk proteomics and lipidomics and human milk microbiome
5. Human milk banking
6. Formulation guidelines for infant formula
7. Ingredients selection for infant formula
8. Processing technology for infant formula
9. Component interactions and processing damage during the manufacture of infant formula
10. Infant formula quality control
11. Infant formula product regulation
12. Infant formula analyses
13. Infant formula and allergy
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2020
- 11th September 2020
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Mingruo Guo is a professor in the Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of Vermont, United States. He also serves as an adjunct faculty in the Dairy Science Laboratory at the Northeast Agricultural University in Harbin, China. Dr. Guo got his PhD from the National University of Ireland at Cork (UCC) in 1990. He is highly regarded for his teaching, research, and product development in Food Science. He serves as a consultant in both quality assurance and new product development. He specializes in the areas of infant formula, functional foods, whey-based environmentally safe products, prebiotics and probiotics, herbs, and nutritional product development. He is the author of the textbook Functional Foods-Principles and Technology, published in 2007. He also published another book, Whey Protein Production, Chemistry, Functionality, and Applications, in 2019. He has 13 patents and has published more than 130 peer-reviewed papers. Dr. Guo’s related ongoing research projects include application of limited proteolysis of milk proteins in infant formula, component interactions in infant formula during manufacturing, development of preterm and low-birth weight infant formula, and effects of infant formula on infant gut microbiota.
University of Vermont, USA and Jilin University, People’s Republic of China
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.