- Overall emphasis on respect sets up a basis for building positive relationships with patients and fellow health professionals through good decision-making.
- UNIQUE! Authentic scenarios and examples demonstrate strategies and tools for effective communication with patients of all ages in a wide range of health care settings.
- UNIQUE! Interdisciplinary approach addresses issues that apply to many different healthcare disciplines to help you identify with your specific field as well as recognize themes that apply across the healthcare spectrum.
- Authentic patient cases give you a more personal connection as to how the various communications and actions discussed in the text affect the patient.
- Reflections Questions throughout the text challenge you to apply critical thinking skills and your personal experience to different scenarios.
- Questions for Thought and Discussion at the end of each section help you apply your knowledge to a variety of situations.
Table of Contents
- SECTION ONE: Creating a Context of Respect
1. Respect in the Professional Role
2. Professional Relatedness Built on Respect
3. Professional Boundaries Guided by Respect
SECTION TWO: Respectful Interaction in the Delivery of Care
4. Respect for Self: One’s Professional Role
5. Respect in a Diverse Society
6. Respect in Care Delivery Systems
SECTION THREE: Respect for the Patient’s Situation
7. Respecting the Patient’s Story
8. Respect for the Patient’s Family and Significant Relationships
SECTION FOUR: Respect through Communication
9. Respectful Interprofessional Communication
10. Respectful Communication in an Information Age
SECTION FIVE: Respectful Interactions Across the Life Span
11. Respectful Interaction: Working with Newborns, Infants, and Children in the Early Years
12. Respectful Interaction: Working with School Age Children and Adolescents
13. Respectful Interaction: Working with Adults
14. Respectful Interaction: Working with Older Adults
SECTION SIX: Some Special Challenges: Creating a Context of Respect
15. Respectful Interaction When the Patient Is Dying
16. Respectful Interaction in Complex Situations
- No. of pages: 288
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Saunders 2018
- Published: September 11, 2018
- Imprint: Saunders
- eBook ISBN: 9780323533638
- Paperback ISBN: 9780323533621