Handbook of Grape Processing By-Products explores the alternatives of upgrading production by-products, also denoting their industrial potential, commercial applications and sustainable solutions in the field of grape valorization and sustainable management in the wine industry.
Covering the 12 top trending topics of winery sustainable management, emphasis is given to the current advisable practices in the field, general valorization techniques of grape processing by-products (e.g. vermi-composting, pyrolysis, re-utilization for agricultural purposes etc.), the newly introduced biorefinery concept, different techniques for the separation, extraction, recovery and formulation of polyphenols, and finally, the healthy components of grape by-products that lead to target applications in the pharmaceutical, enological, food and cosmetic sectors.
- Presents in-depth information on grape processing
- Addresses the urgent need for sustainability within wineries
- Reveals the opportunities of reutilizing processing by-products in profitable ways
- Explores general valorization methods and separation and extraction methods for the recovery of high added-value extracts/compounds and their transformation to final products
Agricultural or food engineers who work in the wine making industry and are seeking to improve their grape by-products management by actively utilizing the waste in effective applications, Researchers working in related food and environmental fields; Food scientists and technologists; Environmental, agricultural and chemical engineers; Professionals working in the food industry and wineries
1. State of the Art in Grape Processing By-Products
2. The Biorefinery Concept for the Industrial Valorization of Grape Processing By-Products
3. Vermicomposting of Winemaking By-Products
4. Reuse of Vine-Shoots Wastes for Agricultural Purposes
5. Extraction of Bioactive Compounds from Grape By-Products
6. Membrane Technologies for the Separation of Compounds Recovered from Grape Processing By-Products
7. Emerging Technologies for the Recovery of Valuable Compounds from Grape Processing By-Products
8. Patent Survey
9. Oenological Applications of Winemaking By-Products
10. Applications of Recovered Bioactive Compounds in Food Products
11. Grape Processing By-Products as Active Ingredients for Cosmetic Purposes
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2017
- 10th April 2017
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Galanakis is a dynamic and interdisciplinary scientist with a fast-expanding work that balances between food and environment, industry and academia. His research targets mainly the separation and recovery of functional macro- and micro-molecules from different food by-products, as well as their implementation as additives in food and other products. He is the research & innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories (Chania, Greece) and the coordinator of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association (Vienna, Austria). He serves as an editorial board member and subject editor of Food and Bioproducts Processing and Food Research International, whereas he has published dozens research articles, reviews, monographs and conference proceedings. He has edited 4 books entitled "Food Waste Recovery" (Academic Press, 2015), "Innovation Strategies in the Food Industry" (Academic Press, 2016), “Nutraceutical and Functional Food Components” (Academic Press, 2017) and “Olive Mill Waste” (Academic Press, 2017).
Follow Dr. Galanakis via Twitter, LinkedIn, ResearchGate or Blog. Join his open discussion forums at the Food Waste Recovery & Innovation 2020 LinkedIn group or the Food Waste Recovery FB Page.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece