- Many societies are culturally diverse or becoming so - the cultural approach is a unique and necessary addition to the health psychology area
- Satisfies the ever-increasing appetite of health psychologists for cultural issues in health and women's health issues
- Major and global health concerns are covered including heart disease, cancer, HIV/AIDS, pain, suicide, and health promotion
- The health beliefs and practices of Latinos, people of African heritage, Aboriginal peoples, and South Asians are presented without stereotyping these cultural groups
- The handbook provides excellent information for health care researchers, practitioners, students, and policy-makers in culturally pluralistic communities
- References are thorough and completely up-to-date
Table of Contents
- Part I: Health Psychology for a Cultural Perspective: Theoretical Considerations.
S.S. Kazarian and D.R. Evans, Health Psychology and Culture: Embracing the 21st Century.
M.S. Mulatu and J.W. Berry, Health Care Practice in a Multicultural Context: Western and Non-Western Assumption.
T.L. Armstrong and L.C. Swartzman, Cross-Cultural Differences in Illness Models and Expectations for the Health Care Provider-Client/Patient Interaction.
D.R. Evans and S.S. Kazarian, Health Promotion, Disease Prevention, and Quality of Life.
H.M. Shearer and D.R. Evans, Adherence to Health Care.
Part II: Health Psychology and Culture: Specific Health Concerns.
B. Baker, A. Richter, and S.S. Anand, From the Heartland: Culture, Psychological Factors, and Coronary Heart Disease.
C.C. Gotay, M. Muraoka, and J. Holup, Cultural Aspects of Cancer Prevention and Control.
A. Raj, H. Amaro, and E. Reed, Culturally Tailoring HIV/AIDS Prevention Programs: Why, When, and How.
C.T. Korol and K.D. Craig, Pain from the Perspectives of Health Psychology and Culture.
S.S. Kazarian and E. Persad, Cultural Issues in Suicidal Behavior.
Part III: Health Psychology: Issues with Specific Cultural Groups.
H. Betancourt and J.L. Fuentes, Culture and Latino Issues in Health Psychology.
S.S. Kazarian, Health Issues in North American People of African Heritage.
G.S. Renfrey and R.R. Dionne, Health Psychology and the Native North American Client.
X. Chen and L.C. Swartzman, Health Beliefs and Experiences in Asian Cultures.
P. Chandarana and J.R. Pellizzari, Health Psychology: South Asian Perspectives.
E.A. Wise, S.K. Carmichael, C.D. Belair, C.B. Jordan, and N.E. Berlant, Women's Health: A Cultural Perspective.
- No. of pages: 488
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 2001
- Published: July 26, 2001
- Imprint: Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: 9780080478289
About the Editors
Affiliations and Expertise
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Handbook of Cultural Health Psychology"