Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The Handbook of Chitin and Chitosan: Preparation and Properties, Volume One, is a must-read for polymer chemists, physicists and engineers interested in the development of ecofriendly micro and nanostructured functional materials based on chitin and their various applications. The book addresses the entirety of working with these materials, from their isolation, preparation and properties, through composites, nanomaterials, manufacturing and characterizations. This is the first of three volumes in a series that contains the latest on the major applications of chitin and chitosan based IPN’s, blends, gels, composites and nanocomposites, including environmental remediation, biomedical applications and smart material applications.
- Provides a comprehensive overview of Chitin and Chitosan materials, from their synthesis and nanomaterials, to their manufacture and applications
- Volume One focuses on the synthesis and properties of Chitosan and/or Chitin
- Includes contributions from leading researchers across the globe and from industry, academia, government and private research institutions
- Highlights current status and future opportunities
Polymer chemists, engineers and technologists. Researchers, graduates and postgraduates in the fields of materials science, biomaterials and medicines. Biomedical scientists, bioengineers and chemical engineers with an interest in polysaccharides
1. Chitin and chitosan: Origin, Properties and applications
2. Chitin and chitosan : Chemistry, solubility, fiber formation and their potential applications
3. PEGylated chitin and chitosan derivatives
4. Solubility, chain characterisation and derivatives of chitin
5. Solubility, degree of acetylation and distribution of acetyl groups in chitosan
6. Chitin nanomaterials: Preparation and surface modifications
7. Fabrication of chitosan-based nano-scale material by electrospinning technique
8. Alternative methods for chitin and chitosan preparation, characterisations and application
9. Current research on the blends of Chitosan as new biomaterials
10. Chitin and chitosan based aerogels
11. Chitin, chitosan: Marine to market
12. Miscibility, properties, and biodegradability of Chitin and chitosan
13. Chitin and Chitosan: Current status and future opportunities
14. Fungal Chitosan: Prospects and challenges
15. Preparation, properties and application of low molecular weight chitosan
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 26th June 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
Sabu Thomas is a Professor of Polymer Science & Engineering, in the School of Chemical Sciences in Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India. His areas of research are in polymer blends, fiber filled polymer composites, nanomaterials and polymer nanocomposites, ageing and degradation, pervaporation phenomena, sorption and diffusion, interpenetrating polymer systems, recyclability and reuse of waste plastics and rubbers, elastomer crosslinking, dual porous nanocomposite scaffolds for tissue engineering, polymer nanocomposites for electronic applications, water purification, and energy storage
Professor of Polymer Science & Engineering, in the School of Chemical Sciences in Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India
Professor Pius achieved her BSc. in Chemistry in 1985 from Holy Cross College, Nagercoil, Madurai Kamaraj University, India following this with and MSc and PhD in Chemistry. Her research interests are environmental chemistry and pollution control, polymer composites, nanocomposites, food chemistry, bioavailability – in vitro studies, photodegradation of pollutants, waste water treatments and anion sensors. Professor Pius is a reviewer for a number of well-known journals including Ecological Engineering, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Journal of Chemistry & Applied Biochemistry, Journal of Water Process Engineering, National Academy Science Letters and Separation Science and Technology.
The Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University), Dindigul
Dr. Sreerag Gopi is the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) of ADSO Naturals Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore, Karnataka, India. He works in the area of natural products, nano materials, nutraceuticals and polymer nano composites. Dr. Sreerag has been published many peer reviewed articles in International journals and written number of book chapters.
Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) of ADSO Naturals Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.