Goodman's Basic Medical Endocrinology, Fifth Edition has been student tested and approved for decades. This essential textbook provides up-to-date coverage of rapidly unfolding advances in the understanding of hormones involved in regulating most aspects of bodily functions. It is richly illustrated in full color with both descriptive schematic diagrams and laboratory findings obtained in clinical studies. This is a classic reference for moving forward into advanced study.
- Clinical case studies in every chapter
- E-book version available with every copy for obtaining images and tables for lectures or notes
- Clinicians added as co-authors to enhance usefulness by physicians and medical students and residents
- Detailed molecular biology of hormones and hormone action for graduate and advanced undergraduate students
- Expanded and updated color images emphasizing hormone action at the molecular level
- In-depth molecular biology and clinical sections boxed for ease of access
Upper division undergraduate and graduate students in biology, physiology, zoology; medical students; researchers and professionals in endocrinology. Biomedical researchers, graduate students, and fellows in the fields of endocrinology
2. Pituitary Gland
3. Thyroid Gland
4. The Adrenal Glands
5. Principles of Hormone Integration
6. Hormones of the Gastrointestinal Tract
7. The Pancreatic Islets
8. Hormonal Regulation of Fuel Metabolism
9. Regulation of Salt and Water Balance
10. Hormonal Regulation of Calcium Balance
11. Hormonal Control of Growth
12. Hormonal Control of Reproduction in the Male
13. Hormonal Control of Reproduction in the Female: The Menstrual Cycle
14. Hormonal Control of Pregnancy and Lactation
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st February 2020
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
Dr. Holt was the co-director of the Endocrine Neoplasia Group; the Connecticut Endocrine Society President (2006); recognized as Connecticut Magazine Top Docotrs in 205 and 2016.
Associate Professor of Medicine, Endocrinology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Dr. Lupsa is an endocrinologist who specializes in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The Yale Medicine Diabetes Center offers superior diabetes care, with such cutting-edge devices as glucose monitors and insulin pumps for more complicated cases, she says. She collaborates with an experienced team of nurse practitioners and dieticians who are trained to treat diabetes.
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Endocrinology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Dr. Bassyouni is on the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee at the University of Calgary. The endocrinology division spans six medical sites across Calgary with a team of 25 members who provide their expert service in the Diabetes Center, the David Hanley Osteoporosis center, the multidisciplinary thyroid cancer and thyroid nodule clinic, the endocrine hypertension clinic, the Diabetes in Pregnancy program, the Neuroendocrine clinic and in general Endocrinology clinics. Dr. Bassyouni is co-director of one of the medical sites.
Clinical Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medicine Endocrinology, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
.Dr. Peery is an assistant professor and teaches medical students at the Cumming School of Medicine. He received his PhD from the University of Saskatchewan and focused his research on the pathogenesis of anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, cancer biomarkers, and endometriosis. Dr. Peery holds a Masters degree in microbiology (Ohio State University), and a PhD in molecular neuropharmacology (University of Saskatchewan).
Adjunct Professor, Cumming School of Medicine, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Praise for previous editions:
"...provides a solid overview of endocrine function and control...an introductory text that provides a solid basis of background information for the aspiring clinician, or for students planning to progress in a direction that investigates a broader range of organisms." --GENERAL AND COMPARATIVE ENDOCRINOLOGY
"...presents the subject of human endocrinology in a way that actually makes the reader want more...this is an outstanding text for medical students, graduate students, and researchers who need a good reference book in the field." --LIFE SCIENCE BOOK REVIEW