- UNIQUE! Five-step screening model is systems- and symptoms-based, and follows the standards for competency established by the American Physical Therapy Association, covering past medical history, risk factor assessment, clinical presentation, associated signs and symptoms, and review of symptoms.
- UNIQUE! Case studies are based on clinical experience and give real-world examples of how to integrate screening information into the diagnostic process and when to treat or refer.
- Evidence for the screening process is based on peer-reviewed literature, reporting on the sensitivity, specificity, and likelihood ratios of yellow (cautionary) and red (warning) flags.
- Quick-reference summaries include tables, boxes, follow-up questions, clinical signs and symptoms, and case examples.
- Key Points to Remember boxes at the end of each chapter provide quick, bulleted summaries of critical information.
- Practice Questions allow you to check your understanding of concepts presented in the chapters.
- Laboratory tests and values relating to physical therapist practice are presented in the inside front and back covers of the text for quick reference.
- Screening tools and checklists are available in the book and on the Evolve website, and are downloadable and printable for use in the clinic.
Table of Contents
INTRODUCTION TO THE SCREENING PROCESS
1 Introduction to Screening for Referral in Physical Therapy
2 Interviewing as a Screening Tool
3 Pain Types and Viscerogenic Pain Patterns
4 Physical Assessment as a Screening Tool
VISCEROGENIC CAUSES OF NEUROMUSCULOSKELETAL PAIN AND DYSFUNCTION
5 Screening for Hematologic Disease
6 Screening for Cardiovascular Disease
7 Screening for Pulmonary Disease
8 Screening for Gastrointestinal Disease
9 Screening for Hepatic and Biliary Disease
10 Screening for Urogenital Disease
11 Screening for Endocrine and Metabolic Disease
12 Screening for Immunologic Disease
13 Screening for Cancer
SYSTEMIC ORIGINS OF NEUROMUSCULOSKELETAL PAIN AND DYSFUNCTION
14 Screening the Head, Neck, and Back
15 Screening the Sacrum, Sacroiliac, and Pelvis
16 Screening the Lower Quadrant: Buttock, Hip, Groin, Thigh, and Leg
17 Screening the Chest, Breasts, and Ribs
18 Screening the Shoulder and Upper Extremity
- No. of pages: 816
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Elsevier 2022
- Published: February 2, 2022
- Imprint: Elsevier
- Paperback ISBN: 9780323722049