Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Ron DiPippo, Professor Emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, is a world-regarded geothermal expert. This single resource covers all aspects of the utilization of geothermal energy for power generation from fundamental scientific and engineering principles. The thermodynamic basis for the design of geothermal power plants is at the heart of the book and readers are clearly guided on the process of designing and analysing the key types of geothermal energy conversion systems. Its practical emphasis is enhanced by the use of case studies from real plants that increase the reader's understanding of geothermal energy conversion and provide a unique compilation of hard-to-obtain data and experience.
An important new chapter covers Environmental Impact and Abatement Technologies, including gaseous and solid emissions; water, noise and thermal pollutions; land usage; disturbance of natural hydrothermal manifestations, habitats and vegetation; minimisation of CO2 emissions and environmental impact assessment.
The book is illustrated with over 240 photographs and drawings. Nine chapters include practice problems, with solutions, which enable the book to be used as a course text. Also includes a definitive worldwide compilation of every geothermal power plant that has operated, unit by unit, plus a concise primer on the applicable thermodynamics.
- Engineering principles are at the heart of the book, with complete coverage of the thermodynamic basis for the design of geothermal power systems
* Practical applications are backed up by an extensive selection of case studies that show how geothermal energy conversion systems have been designed, applied and exploited in practice
* World renowned geothermal expert DiPippo has including a new chapter on Environmental Impact and Abatement Technology in this new edition
Environmental, mechanical and power engineers; geothermal researchers and developers; academics and students.
PART ONE RESOURCE IDENTIFICATION AND DEVELOPMENT
1. Geology of Geothermal Regions
2. Exploration Strategies and Techniques
3. Geothermal Well Drilling
4. Reservoir Engineering
PART TWO GEOTHERMAL POWER GENERATING SYSTEMS
5. Single-Flash Steam Power Plants
6. Double-Flash Steam Power Plants
7. Dry-Steam Power Plants
8. Binary Cycle Power Plants
9. Advanced Geothermal Energy Conversion Systems
10. Exergy Analysis Applied to Geothermal Power Systems
PART THREE GEOTHERMAL POWER PLANT CASE STUDIES
11. Larderello Dry-Steam Power Plants, Tuscany, Italy
12. The Geysers Dry-Steam Power Plants, Sonoma and Lake Counties, California, U.S.A.
13. Cerro Prieto Power Station, Baja California Norte, Mexico
14. Hatchobaru Power Station, Oita Prefecture, Kyushu, Japan
15. Mutnovsky Flash-Steam Power Plant, Kamchakta Peninsula, Russia
16. Miravalles Power Station, Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica
17. Heber Binary Plants, Imperial Valley, California, USA
18. Magmamax Binary Power Plant, East Mesa, Imperial Valley California, USA
19. Environmental Impact of Geothermal Power Plants
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2007
- 13th November 2007
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Ronald DiPippo is a geothermal expert and renewable energy consultant.. He is also Chancellor Professor Emeritus and former Associate Dean of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, United States.
Renewable Energy Consultant, Chancellor Professor Emeritus, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.