Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Genetics and Breeding for Disease Resistance of Livestock is a solid resource that combines important information on the underlying genetic causes and governing factors for disease resistance in food animals and applications for breeding purposes. It describes genomics at each species level to help researchers and students understand disease resistance and immunology using genomics and its application in breeding for disease resistance. This useful reference makes it easy for readers to understand and undergo further research in immunology and disease resistance for livestock. It includes novel applications and research material that is ideal for students, teachers, academicians and researchers.
- Presents basic principles and protocols to describe research methodologies through diagrammatic illustrations with figures, flow charts, examples, and references
- Covers various disease occurrences in livestock and the methodologies available to identify the various pathogens responsible for these diseases
- Includes advanced breeding techniques and practical applications
Officials and experts in organised farm sectors, both private and Govt. Organization
1. Overview of disease resistance
2. Concept of Disease resistance
3. Major diseases of livestock and Poultry and the problems encountered for its control diseases
4. Disease resistant traits-analytic tools – Indicator traits
Section 2: Genetics and Genomics for Disease resistance
5. Basic concepts of immunogenetics
6. Genetics for innate immunity
7. Genetics for Humoral immunity
8. Immune response genes
9. Techniques to study immune response genes
10. Genes conferring immunity against bacterial infections
11. Genes conferring immunity against viral infections
12. Genes conferring immunity against protozoal infections
13. Genes conferring immunity against parasitic infections
14. Identified immune response genes pertaining to livestock species
15. Advanced Genomic techniques for studying immune response genes
16. Strategies for exploiting Immune response genes
17. Breeding for disease resistance
18. Phenotypic traits for disease resistance
19. Selection of Livestock and Poultry for disease resistance
20. Heritability, repeatability, genetic correlation for disease resistance traits
21. Disease resistance for Cattle and Buffalo
22. Disease resistance for goat and sheep
23. Disease resistance for pig
24. Disease resistance for poultry
25. Breeding methodologies for development of disease resistant stock of livestock
26. Advanced Breeding Techniques
27. Future application for studies on disease resistance
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2019
- 22nd October 2019
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr Aruna Pal is working as an Assistant Professor in W.B. University of Animal & Fishery Sciences, India. Earlier she has served as "Scientist C" in Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India. She has also the work experience as Veterinary Officer in Govt. of West Bengal and In Charge, Quality Control Laboratory, Frozen Semen Bull Station, PBGSBS (under Central Project for Cattle & Buffalo Breeding Programme, Ministry of agriculture, Govt. of India
Assistant Professor (Animal Genetics and Breeding), West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata-37, West Bengal, India
Dr. Atish Kumar Chakravarty former head of the Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding at the ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University) in Haryana, India.
Former Head, Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), Haryana, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.