Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Genetically Modified and Irradiated Food: Controversial Issues: Facts versus Perceptions explains the technologies used in these processes so they can be understood by those in general public health, scientific organizations, politicians and opinion makers/policymakers. The facts presented include a massive amount of scientific evidence that these technologies are safe and can be beneficial. Because the world is facing a future with an increasing number of people, new technologies are needed to ensure enough safe and healthy food, thus technologies that have the potential to dramatically increase the availability of safe and healthy food should be welcomed by everybody.
- Includes references to science based research on GMOs
- Explains the technologies in a clear way that can be understood by the general public
- Includes a massive amount of scientific evidence that these technologies are safe and can be beneficial
Food scientists who want to have more background information about the topics in the book; scientists in non-food science disciplines; science editors and journalists of newspapers and popular science magazines; professors and teachers at all levels (basic schools - universities); regulators; politicians; well-educated general public
PART 1: Genetically Modified Food
1. Why is genetic modification of interest or why can it be useful?
2. A perspective on the evolution of genetic manipulation of biological materials, both plant and animal
3. How are genes modified? Crossbreeding, mutagenesis, and CRISPR-Cas9
4. Can modification go wrong and what if it does?
5. Genetically modified food and human health
6. Case studies
6.1. Genetically modified food in South Africa
6.2. Genetically modified bananas for communities of the great lakes region of Africa
6.3. Trends in genetically modified crops development in Nigeria: Issues and challenges
6.4. GMOs in Argentina
6.5. Controversial issues: Braziil case studies
7. GM crops and conventional or organic agriculture coexistence in EU regulation
8. The impact of GM crops on agriculture
PART 2: Irradiated Food
9. What is the benefit of irradiation compared to other methods of food preservation?
10. Irradiation kills microbes: Can it do anything harmful to the food?
11. Can irradiated food have an influence on people’s health?
12. Safety of irradiated food
13. Novel processing technologies: Facts about irradiation and other technologies
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 13th January 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Veslemøy Andersen graduated from the Department of Microbiology at the University of Oslo, Norway. She has been working as a microbiologist at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway, at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, and at the University of Applied Sciences in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
Global Harmonization Initiative’s Ambassador to Norway
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.